Breast Cancer Expert Forum
BIRADS Category 3 results

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

BIRADS Category 3 results

I am 36 and had my first mammogram completed. I had to have a second one on my right breast and the BIRADA came back as a 3. I know that it says probably benign and follow up in six months, but I have read so much different information that I don't know how to feel.  My mom is a breast cancer surviver (ironically it was her right breast and she had to have it removed along with her lymph nodes when she was in her late 40's). I have made an apt. with my GYN, but wanted to know what you thought.  I have loosely grouped microcalcifications in the right breast.  Some material says it's the beginning signs of cancer and others say more than likely nothing.  I have also read to wait 6 months for a follow up and I have read to have a biospy.  Any advise?
Dear carlaj:  A BIRAD 3 result means that this is probably a benign finding.  There is less than 2% chance of cancer. A BIRAD 3 result usually receives a 6 month follow-up mammogram.  Most level 3 abnormalities do not receive biopsy.  However, if you are not comfortable with this approach, you may benefit from meeting with a breast specialist who can review your mammogram along with your other risk factors and help make recommendations that are specific to you and will be comfortable to you.  
I am 47 years old and have the same condition as you.  My microcalcifications are in the right breast, but they are tightly grouped together in cluster.  My fault is that I didn't have a mammogram every year.  I waited 4 years.  My doctor told me not to worry, but with the history of breast cancer in my family I went for a second opinion.  I am seeing a breast surgeon, and he just sent me for an MRI to see what is really going on.  I am on pins and needles until I see my doctor.  But as you said, most readings tell us probably benign.  We can only pray.  Take care and good luck.
I have similar circumstances also.  I will be having a MRI in a couple weeks- Hope everything goes well with you both!
A related discussion, Biopsy?? was started.
A related discussion, fibroglandular was started.