Breast Cancer Expert Forum
BIRADS classification

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

BIRADS classification

BIRADS classification is applied for each breast independent or sum of both breasts?

e.g: RT Breast BIRADS I
       LT Breast BIRADS IV

or    Together will be BIRADS IV
Dear ismailghoneim:  BIRADs is based on the interpretation of an abnormality.  A BIRAD 4 would indicate the need for additional evaualuation of the abnormality in the left breast.  A BIRAD 1 is a normal finding.  There is nothing that needs evaluation in the right breast.
BIRADS scoring is done regarding each susupicious area or abnormality that is found .... not on the breast as a whole. BIRADS 1 is benign finding. BIRADS 4 requires a biopsy to determine the nature of the abnormality found.
Thank you for reply.
I will ask my question in different way.
I am reporting a mammography films 4views CC and MLO
In one side there was a positive lesion say BIRADS 4
In the other side there was a benign findiing BIRADS 2
In the final conclusion of the report?
Do I describ each breast separetly i.e:
RT Breast BIRADS 5
LT Breast BIRADS 2

or I will conclude my report using single BIRADS for both breasts i.e BIRADS 4 in this situation?
Thank you for reply.
In the final conclusion of the report?
Do I describ each breast separetly i.e:
RT Breast BIRADS 4
LT Breast BIRADS 2

RT breast BIRADS 4 -- LT breast BIRADS 2 Abnormalities in both breasts are NEVER combined. If you combined them it would indicate that both required a biopsy and in this case only the R breast requires the biopsy. The BIRADS scoring system indicates what type of further investigation is required of each suspicious finding.