Breast Cancer Community
BREAST biopsy benign but lumpectomy W/ reconstruction, ANYONE been ther...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

BREAST biopsy benign but lumpectomy W/ reconstruction, ANYONE been there?

Benign needle biopsy but surgeon recommends lumpectomy to check in slices and because lump is so large I will change the characteristics of my breast, I will have to undergo reconstruction bilaterally. Has this happened to anyone? I'm not really understanding all of this, I have a pituitary tumor, autoimmune disease (constantly sick), autonomic neuropathy and fatigue with extreme bone pain and body pain and flu-like symptoms, she does not know much of this so this did not have anything to do with her recommendation of the procedures. She is not quick to cut and at first started with not wanting to do it'll I go to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville and have been told by  a radiologist it could be "c" yet the others tell me it's not and this seems quite major to go through is she is so sure it is not cancer as she keeps stating. I'm always sick with UTI's, one pyeloohrenitis and just last week Klebsiella still recovering and am supposed to travel to Mayo on Monday for Mammo and discussion with surgeon on Tuesday. Surgery 1 is June, please help. Then I heal, find out if cancer and  have surgery 2 reconstruction about 2 months later. Odd I'm having lumpectomy with reconstruction if not cancer, at least to me???????
Tags: Breast with autoimmune disease, Breast, pituitary tumor, fatigue, Autonomic neuropathy, biopsy, bone pain, Recurring UTIs, klebsiella, Pyelophrenitis, Undiagnosed breast lump, lumps
1 Comment
Yes it is odd however a needle biopsy is the least favored of all types .... I'm not sure why a more reliable type of biopsy was done with a lump as large as you seem to indicate. As far as the change in your breast following the lumpectomy .... if the lump is so large now I would think that these changes are already evident. I would certainly see that your Dr.s are well informed regarding your many other health problems as this may have some influence on the healing process and/or the success of the reconstruction. Surely you had a Mammogram and Ultrasound at the beginning of this investigation so I'm not sure why you would be having additional films but be sure whatever films you have had done go with you so the Radiologist has them for comparison. This is very important .... not reports but actual films!!
If I were you I believe that I would call a halt to this "rush" procedure and get a second opinion .... if that is what the visit to Jax (Mayo) then I might get a third opinion. Even if this were Cancer, there wouldn't be such a rush with these surgeries. You might even request a Core Biopsy or another type before submitting to the lumpectomy for a diagnosis. Please understand that these are my personal opinions and the final decision must be yours and yours alone so keep asking the Dr.s questions about the "whys" of the plan they have recommended.  Best Wishes .....