Breast Cancer Community
Back Muscle Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Back Muscle Pain

After bilateral mastectomy, BC Stage 2a, triple pos., I received my first two round of TCH chemotherapy.  After the first round I experienced severe upper back spasms that went away a couple of days before my second round.  The spasms came back and did not go away by my third round, so I received only the Herceptin only at that infusion.  The spasms intensified again after Herceptin only.  Infusions were halted until I can get out of pain, but the upper back pain is not budging.  The upper and mid traps were in spasm for several weeks, and are now very weak and dysfuctional with constant pain.  I am 12 weeks post chemo and 8 weeks post Herceptin, and still on a lot of narcotics just to stay semi-functional, with very little enjoyment.  The doctors are all a bit puzzled since Herceptin is supposed to be fairly kind, and it seems maybe it was the culprit, although I guess we will never be sure.  My pain is debilitating, and the doctors are hesitant to proceed under the circumstances.  I am very worried we have created a permanent damage type situation.  Could this be nerve damage?  I am expecting too much to think this should have resolved by now?  Is it time to see some other type of specialist, and if so, what type?  I have been to physical therapy and pain management.  Thanks for any insight......
1 Comment
I would have suggested a Pain Clinic and consult with a Pain Specialist (usually an Anesthesiologist) but you state that you have already been this route. The best solution (short term of course) for muscle spasm is ICE for no more than 15 - 20 min. Most Orthopaedic Specialists often recommend this but anything you do should be with your Oncologists approval.  Regards ....