Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Baseline Mammography at 35 yrs?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Baseline Mammography at 35 yrs?

I saw on the NBC Today show within the past 6 mos. an OB/GYN who said it was a very good idea to get a baseline mammography at 35, before the breast tissue undergoes changes related to aging.  The baseline mammograpy at 35 is supposed to help with later detection supposedly.  I have asked another medical site and they said the protocol is still 40.  What do you recommend?
The National Cancer Institute guidelines continue to recommend mammograms beginning at age 40 every 1 to 2 years until age 50 then annually after 50.  In the American Cancer Society literature a baseline mammogram is recommended between the ages of 35 and 40.  From 40 to 49 one is recommended every 1 to 2 years depending on the findings and your physician
At the age of 35, with no family history of breast cancer, and in very good health, I went to have a baseline mammogram.  I remember the woman in the facility saying "you don't really need to do this until you are 40", but I felt that it was the right thing to do.  It wasn't long before I was referred to a surgeon and was told based purely on my mamm films, that I would have to have a mastectomy.  It has been almost 2 years, and I am now dealing with metastatic cancer.  Please be cautious, follow your instincts, and get tested.
A related discussion, mother maiden name was started.