Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Being called back for Cone Compression?? I am now very worried, please ...

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Being called back for Cone Compression?? I am now very worried, please help!

I just had my screening mammogram last week (age 41) and the clinic called me to come back for a Cone Compression?  I am of course now totally worried and freaked out.  The nurse said the doctor saw a small nodule adjacent to the chest wall of my left breast. The nurse of course tried to calm me and said that 1 out of 10 women get called back in for this type of test, but still, I am VERY concerned and worried.  I have no history of breast cancer in my family and have had 2 normal screening mammograms prior to this.  Also, I cannot feel any lumps or bumps on self-exam.  I would appreciate any advice you can give me about this type of test and the type of nodule they described seeing that was not there on my previous mammogram.  Thanks!!
Dear comfycozy:  This type of problem is actually quite common.  Sometimes, breast tissue can fold over onto itself and cause a density to appear on mammogram.  A spot compression (magnification) will often find that there is nothing there to be concerned about.  It is important to go get this done just to be sure there is no problem.