Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Benign or Not Microcalcifications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Benign or Not Microcalcifications

My first mammogram has shown microcalcifications. My doctor was reading the results to me and said most of them are benign. I then asked him if that meant some were malignant and he said that's not what it meant. I understand that certain cluster patterns are suspicious.
I go for a diagnostic mammo on Wednesday and wonder if I still have much of a chance this will not be cancer.
Also why would the doctor examine my breast if calcifications cannot be felt? He said he couldn't feel any lumps. I'm feeling a bit shaky about this whole thing.
I am post menopausal. I'm also wondering if calcifications come and go.
Dear Sassyfras:  Microcalcifications are small calcium deposits found within the breast tissue.  There are different types of microcalcifications, and based on their pattern on the mammogram it gives the radiologist clues as to their cause.  For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause, a
When my GYN doctor saw my film he suspected it was Breast Cancer because of the way the Calicifications were grouped close together.  The biopsy showed it was cancer. He was correct and I had a right brast Mastectomy.  Wishing you luck and hoping yours is not cancer.
When you have your Diagnostic Mammogram the Radiologist will read it as soon as it is done ....... and order additional views to be done right then. If I were you I would ask for answers to your questions before you leave the Dept. Here's wishing you the best ......
Most microcalcifications are bening (I believe around 85%) but when there are suspicious clumps they usually like to biopsy them. Ask for a copy of the radiologists report so that you have all the info (not just what the doctor chooses to relay.) The radiologists report should rate your calcifications according to BIRAD. That will also help you know how serious it is. I've had 2 biopsies for microcalcifications because I had suspicious clumping and both were negative for cancer. The surgeon also examines my breasts for lumps to make sure nothing is missed even tho calcifications aren't felt. They try to be thorough and get a good overall picture of the breast through exam, mammos, and sometimes ultrasound. If you read through other posts at this site you'll see how anxious we all get when we hear there's a breast problem. You're not alone. Keep us informed, ask questions, and we'll answer as best we can as friends since we're not medical professionals.
Thanks everyone for the input.
Montana Girl, you have given me some hope that things will turn out OK. I have read your post over and over for comfort.
I will take your advice about the reports, etc.
Calcificationas do not come and go. Some calc. is normal as we age or could be due to injury. Clusters of calc are more suspious. Keep us posted.
Posted a response to you under BC Friends Post here.
My regular mammo showed a cluster of microcalcifications which were not there on last year's. Because of the clustering, the radiologist ordered a diagnostic mammo and additional views right then and there.  He reviewed them with me and explained why he gave it a BIRAD 4 (suspicious, biopsy should be considered).  Both micro and macro calcifications can be benign.  My surgeon advised that 15% of these suspicious clusters turn out to be cancer.  Calcium is a biproduct of death and, in my case, the cells around the cluster were dead and/or dying because of cancer (IDC 2.4 cm).  You are smart to take care of this right away.  Good luck!
I just recently had a mamogram (mammogram) and received my results in the mail saying they found microcalcification on the anterior aspect of the left breast.  My sister went through a Masectomy last year and chemo and has done well.  I am scared, not sure what my next step is.  I will be calling my doctor this morning.  They recommend a 6month evaluation, but I'm thinking I should have a biopsy to make sure.  

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

TDM6722
A related discussion, cluster microcification was started.
A related discussion, breast biopsy was started.