Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy Vs MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy Vs MRI

I had a mammogram and ultrasound that found a mass in my right breast.  A core needle Biopsy was ordered. the results was DCIS.  I was sent for an MRI.  However, the MRI results came back saying the see the area of recent biopsy, no evidence of cancer.  What should I do?  Have the pathology report read again?  Do I need to get another surgeons opinion?  I am so confused.  I'm scheduled for surgery in a week.  They will remove the lump and I will need radiation for 8 weeks.  I am sooooooo afraid.
1 Comment
Only a biopsy can determine whether an area is benign or malignant. MRI cannot diagnose cancer. If you have doubts then you can have the films read by another Radiologist and also the slides from the biopsy examined by another Pathology Lab. DCIS is Ductal Carcinoma InSitu which means that it is contained within the duct and can be removed completely by surgery. Radiation post DCIS diagnosis is the routine treatment after surgical removal.   Regards ....