Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy for hardened breast tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy for hardened breast tissue

Hi Everyone,

For years I have had a lump or hardened breast tissue in my right breast. Over the years it has grown. Every time I have it checked (mammogram and ultrasound) the results come back saying I just have dense breasts with hard tissue. The last time I was checked was in 2005 before this week. This time, they are recommending a biopsy to make sure it's benign.

Is it normal for hard tissue to grow? I'm really worried that I've had this for years and it could be bad. There is not necessarily pain associated - but a discomfort rather.
I wouldn't think since you've had this condition for so long that it would be anything too serious. I do agree however that it certainly wouldn't hurt to have it biopsied to determine the exact nature of the lump. As far as growing is concerned; the tissue could become more dense OR more tissue could become dense. This might also be a Fibroadenoma; a benign breast tumor and these do increase in size over time. I think a biopsy is an excellent idea at this point. Regards ....
Thank you so much for responding!