Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Biopsy of Breast Calcifications

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Biopsy of Breast Calcifications

I am a 43 year old female.  I had an abnormal mammogram approximately 7 months ago.  They called me back for diagnostic views which showed calcifications in the right breast.  I was told to come back for another mammogram in 6 months.  I just had that mammogram done and they called me right away and said I needed to see a breast surgeon.  He told me that the calcifications have increased in size and number and that I needed a biopsy.  He said he would be removing a ping-pong sized ball of tissue that would be analyzed for cancer.  I was in such shock about everything that I didn't ask enough questions!  Is this type of biopsy normal procedure for my condition?  How often is this cancerous?  Any opinions would be appreciated!
Dear moogiemom:  The type of biopsy is usually determined by the breast surgeon.  Often an excisional biopsy (removing a sample of tissue that will include the calcifications) is chosen because it is most likely to confirm the diagnosis and least likely to miss any tissue that might be concerning.
Moo

I am going thru the same thing right now.  I had calcifications on my left breast and was told I needed a biopsy which I had on Sept 3rd.  I was told that 95% of these are just that, calcifications and only 5% are cancer.  Well I have cancer and it is DCIS (Ductal Carcinoma In Situ).  I had a lumpectomy on the 21st and did not get clear margins on one end so yesterday (the 5th) I had a 2nd excision to try to get the clear margins.  Today I await the lab result which will tell me if I will have a mastecomy or not.  I am a bundle of nerves today to say the least.

I don't mean to alarm you but that is my story.  But hopefully you will be in the 95%.  Good Luck.  If you want more info my email address is ***@****
I'm so sorry - my heart goes out to you.  This waiting is the worst part - I can't imagine what you are going through.  Two doctors have told me different cancer rates - I've been told when the calcifications are clustered like mine, 25-30% are cancerous.  I just keep telling myself to get through each step at a time but of course your mind wanders. I will keep you in my prayers for good results today!  Thanks for your email address - I'll check in on you!
Unless your DCIS is in a fairly small cluster and they plan to remove it all with the "biopsy" (which sounds more like a lumpectomy to me), I would get another option or ask them if they can do a stereotactic biopsy first instead.  I had extensive DCIS in one breast and after having an MRI and stereotactic biopsy to confirm, I underwent a mastectomy on Aug 10th and and very happy with my decision.  They found a 1.6 cm invasive cancer which they had not seen in the other tests and there was no detectable lump as it was behind my nipple.  If you would like to talk more I am   millera04(at)comcast(dot)net
I ran across this website by accident and sooo glad I did. I too recently discovered I have calcifications. I found a very sore lump in my left breast and had to wait almost a week before I could get in the dr. office.
He did a breast exam and at first said it was probably a cyst it should go away in a month. I went back a month later in late Sept. and had my 1st ever mammo it was scheduled as a routine,and was told immediatly to go to the drs office. I seen the dr and while waiting for the radiology report he did another exam. I thought the lump had either disappeared or had really shrank in size.
Needless to say the mammo found a really big mass of calcifiations in a cluster some what resembling a moon shape on my left side. He told me I needed to see a surgeon that it didn't look very good.
I seen the surgeon and on 10/5 had a sterotatic core needle biopsy done. They removed 12 samples and I still have alot of calcifications in tact. I was told a marker was put in to pin point where exactly the mass is.
I had to wait for 2 days for the results (waiting is the hardest part) and was told it begein.
However I have a couple of other diseases going on along with very dense breast.
It all happened so fast and I was so unprepared I too didn't ask enough question or the right questions. I knew nothing at all about breast cancer untill a week ago, when I started looking up info and message boards.
I am still very confused on what to think or ask or do. I am still really scared that I may still have something hiden somewhere that didn't appear on the mamo. I never had a ultrasound or mri. Today I called the dr's office again, I found a new small hard lump just to the left of my breast bone. Should I ask for a ultrasound? any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Best wishes to you all and God Bless!
Unfortunately the site is closed and we are unable to get official answers but I can give you advice from my viewpoint as a cancer patient.  Be persistent on the follow-up with your doctors regarding your symptoms.  The fact that your biopsy came back benign is a very good thing but I would wonder why this "new" lump did not appear on the mammo.  My feeling is that any lump should not be ignored.  You did not mention if you have a family history of the disease.  If so, that would give me even MORE of a reason to be persistent.  Not all cancers can be seen on mammos due to breast density therefore it is very important to follow through with any findings that you have on a self breast exam.  I was diagnosed last year with invasive breast cancer after finding a lump.  Mammo and sono were "normal" but I insisted on a biopsy anyway - thank God I did because the "experts" missed a 1.6 cm tumor.  That is why I believe in being persistent.  If you are not comfortable with what the doctor is saying, it is time to find another doctor.  Good luck and God Bless.
Thank you for your advise! I feel the same way however I guess it just helps hearing from someone else with more expeirense. I started thinking that I was just being to parinoid or somthing I guess.
I have very dense breast and from what I have been finding out, it is a great deal harder to locate small tumors or masses on mamo's with that condition.
As I stated before I am very new to all of this, so new infact when I went for my 1st mamo I didn't even know how the procedure was even done.
I don't have history of bc in my family that I am aware of, however I have CANCER on both sides of my family, mainly cervix, uteran,ovairan & lung. In Feduary of this year I had a cancerous polup removed. NO history of that type either. After researching colon cancer, I had learned usually there is cancer in other places or a greater chance of developing it.
I don't have a copy of my path report,from my breast biopsy I didn't at the time think to ask for it.
But with the 2 other breast diseases I have, my doctor told me I am at a greater risk for it.
I had the biopsy done just a little more than a week ago and pretty much of the swelling is gone, still bruising.
So I have not yet done a complete self exam. I did discover the new small lump just yesterday, not sure if it has been there for a while or not or if it even showed up on the mamo.
I would appreciate any adise, comments, or even if there are certain questions I can ask my dr when I go back next week.
Thanks for you help and God Bless you ALL!!

Dear Josie,  The following is another cancer site that can be very useful to you:  www.cancer.org      
Go to "choose a cancer topic" then go to "breast cancer" then go to "talking about breast cancer"  This should help you to find and figure out questions to discuss with you doctor.  Also, there is nothing wrong with requesting a sono or an mri although all doctors may not agree with doing it.  Don't give up. Good luck.
To Josie.
MRI and PET scan. Ultra sound is not reliable.
I called my dr about the new possible lump. I went to my appt and pin pointed exactly where it was. She told me its "prabably" a cyst, should be ok.
I had made a list with about 25 questions on it to ask, one being about ultrasound, chest xray, and blood test.
She said she thought I had u/s done, she scheduled all tests, everything except the u/s came back ok. I got a call my the nurse saying I needed to come back in for another exam that there was a shawdow appearing type of what looks to be a cyst there, but to be checked anyway.
I have been to this dr now 3-4 times since my biopsy(sterotacic) on 10/5. And feel like I am getting the run around here.
I know they didnt get all the calcifications out in the sterotactic. my original BIRADS rating was a 4.
I still have both lumps there and one is real little smaller than my finger just above my nipple. Which is causing some pain (stinging, and burning) real sensitive.
and suggestions on a second opinion with a breast specialist and a 2nd on the pathology, or should I continue with the same general surgeon and have an excissional biopsy? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for posting sooo much, I just cant ask my questions in any other way here.
Thought, hugs and prayers for all thats fighting and waiting.
Don't apologize for writing too much, we are here for each other.  As a patient, I personally felt more comfortable with a breast specialist.  In fact, I went to a breast oncology surgeon for my biopsy before I even knew.  I guess in my heart I knew I had cancer and decided to cut through the chase.  Don't accept a "probably" answer.  "Probably" doesn't cut it when it comes to your life.  You said you had a birads of 4 which would make me want to investigate this further.  I personally would not feel comfortable with a general surgeon doing a breast excision.  I would want a breast specialist.  Remember, the more of anything that anyone does, the better they do it - technique gets better with practice.  If you feel that you are getting a run-a-round then maybe it is time to move on.  However, this is not something slack off on either.  There is nothing wrong with second opinions.  Take your pathology reports from the stereotatic and find yourself a breast specialist. Until you feel comfortable with what you are being told, you will not be a peace with yourself.  This is not a situation to look back on with regrets.  Remember, you are the priority.  Good luck to you and God Bless.
Hi all,Ihad a mammagram on 10/29/04.i got a phone call to come back for a magnified mammogram because i had calcification clusters.i went today for that 2nd mammogram.(11/5/04)The radiologist told me that there is 1 cluster that they were concerned about. She suggested that i have a stereotactic core biopsy.i called to make an appointment for the biopsy,and they cannot get me in there till the end of november.one of my questions is,is this too long to wait for a biopsy?Also,what are the statistics of this cluster being malignant?,and if it is only one cluster about the size of a dime,,what are the chances of it having spread into surrounding tissue and lymph nodes if it is canceruos?the radiologist showed me the cluster they were concerned about and it appeared to be confined to one spot .Would it show up on the mammogram if it is cancer and had invaded surrounding tissue?Please help,,i am really scared. I appreciate everyones opinions and comments.thanks,cac1
Hi Everyone, I've read your notes about calcification in the breast and I've been down that road.  Went in for my annual mammo, the tech didn't like what she saw, so she called in a radiologist, and he, then and there had several pics taken with magnification.  Still wasn't sure, so I had a biospy, 6 cores removed which came back DCIS....I've had the lumpectomy, and just finished 36 radiation treatments.  Now, I'm on Tamoxifen!!
hello everyone, i'm new to this site.  recently i had my mamo and subsequent 'further films' for new areas of calcifications not seen on previous mamos.  the new areas read as pleomorphic calcifications on the report.  per suggestion, i am scheduled to see a surgeon early december.  the birad lists as 4.  even though i am a nurse, all of these are fairly new terminologies to me, and scarry ones at that.  i'm soon to be 49 years old.  my prior mamos always showed calcifications and resulted in two other visits to surgeons who reviewed and said no intervention necessary at those times.  to my knowledge, no history of breast cancer on either side of my family.  i appreciate reading all of your experiences and witnessing your mutual support to each other.  i hear advise to patients every day not to be unduly alarmed before the results are in but when it's this close i now see how those words can seem simple meaningless! it's also very true how hard it is for the shoe to be on the other foot.  as a nurse, believe it or not, we are often the first to receive specific test results to relay to the physician.  not being in that drivers seat now is frustrating.  since i see the surgeon at work routinely he has made suggestion of maybe a stereotactic biopsy.  i know that decision can't be made for sure until my visit with him and he reviews all the information.  i had never heard of this particular avenue until recently(and with further investigation with sites such as this).  you are all very special people to share your experiences as you do.  hopefully in a few weeks i'll be able to share better than expected results of my own with you all.  bless you all.
I really need some help here.  About a month ago I found a lump in my breast, and decided to wait to tell my doctor.  During my regular exam last week, she felt it as well, and scheduled me for an ultrasound.  The radiologist decided he wanted a mag view mammogram, and after doing so, came in and told me that not only were my breasts dense, but that I had calcifications.  He told me to have an MRI of my breasts.
I have been trying to do research on this matter, as to what it means to have both dense breasts and calcifications.
Does anyone know if there is more of a risk for having breast cancer?
My primary doctor is on vacation until Monday, and this is killing me, waiting to ask her.
Please help?
Please help?
A lot of us have dense breasts, especially while younger.  It doesn't increase your risks of cancer but can make it more difficult to find problems (lumps, etc.).  Calcifications can be caused by a lot of different things and also, in themselves, do not mean that you have a higher risk of cancer.  They can help to identify problems based on how they "look".  You're doing the right thing by following through with the recommendations you're receiving.  The majority of lumps are not cancerous so the odds are in your favor.  Good luck.
Hello everyone,  I am 41 years old and have a septated cyst in both breast.  I recently had a long needle Aspiration on Nov 2 on the right breast.  I did a self exam on Dec 4 and found two lumps in that same breast.  I went back to the surgeon on Dec 14 and had another sonogram.  The aspirated cyst is back in the same location with the same measurments and the other was lumpy breast tissue.  I am told it is benign.  I am told also that breast cyst are nothing to worry about. But I cannot stop wondering if the persistance should be of concern. I do have a little discomfort in the right breast; however I was told by the surgeon to wait and re-examine my self 11 days after cycle.  I had a grandmother whom died of breast cancer. Can a cyst change properties?  I am do for another Mamo in April and do not know if I should wait for the Mamo or try aspiration again or simply leave it alone.   GOD Bless All
Hi all,
I just accidentally stumbled on to this site while looking up "mamography".  I had my yearly mamogram (mammogram) Dec. 8 and rec'd a call from radiologist to come back for a compression mamography which I had done on Dec.14th.  When the radiologist called me into office (after he read mamogram (mammogram)) he said I had calcifications to R breast.  On the first mamogram (mammogram), he said they were very small and had to magnify them.  He recommended that I have a stereotactic core biopsy (which I just had done on Dec. 16th and am awaiting results of biopsy.  Needless to say....I AM VERY SCARED AND NERVOUS. The radiologist who performed the biopsy said about 85% of these calcifications are benign.  
I have a family hx of breast cancer (mother, aunt, 2 first counsins).
I can't believe how common these breast calcifications are and the frequency these stereotactic core biopsy's are done.
Hi all,
I am 40 years old, had my screening mammo which showed microcalcifications in a tight cluster on the right side.  Had a magnified mammo then a surgical biopsy on 12/13.  Biopsy showed DCIS but one border wasn't clear, so had a second lumpectomy on 12/20.  Second pathology report showed an even larger area of cancer, still DCIS.  Has anyone else had this happen?  

The way our ducts branch in many directions, how can we ever be sure they got it all?  My surgeon feels that a 2 mm border of healthy tissue around the tumor is enough.  I think it should be more like 10 mm.  At first I was glad that it was caught early, but after this second report I am scared again, and frustrated that there aren't clear answers.
The treatment of DCIS is still evolving; it's only in the past couple of decades that it's being seen with great frequency, because before that the quality of mammography was less, and fewer women were getting them. DCIS ought to be nearly 100% curable, because by definition it's not yet invasive. But the question that is not fully answered is how much treatment is enough, how much is too much. Presumably all DCIS would be cured by mastectomy. But we know that many women with it need far less; in fact, it's probable that some cases of DCIS never progress at all and would theoretically do fine with no treatment. What's needed, and what is evolving, is the ability to predict behavior of a given case. We know, for example, that certain characteristics denote a more aggressive form, such as what's called "comedo" variant; meaning cells built up and packed extensively within a duct, especially with some of the cells appearing dead. Studies have been done on how much margin -- 2mm vs 10, for example -- is adequate. One problem is that it's very hard to standardize how tissue is cut in the lab; the appearance under the microscope of a margin distance may in fact not fully reflect what's going on. Criteria have been developed as guidelines, based on size of the area of DCIS, presense of comedo variant, multiple areas, etc. The perfect algorithm for each situation does not exist. In general if it's a tiny area, and the woman is past menopause age, and there's no comedo form, simple excision alone may be enough. Treatment escalates to wider lumpectomy, with or without radiation, with or without hormone treatment, or to simple mastectomy. Making such decisions isn't easy; some of it is "seat of the pants." Some of it is based on the woman's own level of comfort: some feel better having had the most aggressive treatment, even in situations where data say less is probably (emphasis on "probably") ok.
Hi! I'm 36 yrs old and in June '04 I went for an annual checkup w/my gyn. She recommended getting a baseline mammo because my breasts are dense. I went in Aug. and they needed additional views. At first the radiologist recommended coming back in 6 months.Then he apparently decided to show my films to 2 other radiologists for their input. They said that it'd still be there in 6 months and they'd need to do a biopsy anyway so I may as well have it now. Luckily I did. It came back DCIS in the right breast. It was very extensive so a lumpectomy wasn't even an option. So on Nov 19 '04 I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I currently have a tissue expander in and have had 3 expansions with 2 more to go. The pathology report showed only DCIS, nothing more. So I didn't have to have any lymph nodes biopsied or removed and I don't have to get chemo or radiation. I consider myself extremely lucky and I'm actually looking forward to having new boobs! I have 4 kids and nursed for a total of 31/2yrs so they were pretty sad looking anyway. I will be going in Feb. to have my left side lifted and then will have the expander replaced with the permanent silicone gel implant shortly after that. It's been a very scary couple of months but luckily DCIS is a very early stage of cancer and very treatable! If you have to have breast cancer, this is the best type to have.
At the age of 50 and post-menopausal, had my first mammo last June, calcification was found in my right breast, I was told to have a repeat in  6 months.  Just did that, was told to have a core needle biopsy  within two weeks.  Went for the biopsy, was there for 2 hours, many, many x-rays were taken, got all set up for the procedure, then was told that the calcification was too close to my chest wall for the surgeon to be comfortable doing the procedure.  Many more x-rays were taken, was told to contact my own doctor within the week.  Anyone else had this type of commnet about the chest wall?
I had to have a surgical biopsy to remove a lump that was up against the chest wall.  It turned out to be a fibroadenoma.  When I had my mammos they had problems getting a good view of this and since they could only see it from one angle on the mammos they used ultrasound to do a wire insertion to mark the lesion.  They knew from the beginning that they wouldn't be able to do a needle biopsy due to its location.  The wire placement and biopsy were done on an out-patient basis.  I hope this all works out for you.  Do follow up on this as if it should be "something", the sooner you know the better the treatment would be.  But, keep in mind that the odds are in your favor and everything will be OK.
Thanks Snow woman, your answer is very positive and makes me feel somewhat reassured. I'll be on this as soon as the doctor's office opens on Monday.
I have  granduloma on my lung that sits on my left chest wall but it is in the lung but right behind the right breast, I had a mammogram just to make sure because my breast hurts so much inside..... well they saw some architectural change and microcalcifications.... being in the medical field (gastro) office i got my films from last year asap..... the report read" possible architectural distortion and a change in fibroglandular tissue ....  in the 2003 mammo i was diagnosed with a rad 3 microcqalcifications follow up 6 months.... i was never told that ... so here i am a basket case.... on the 5th im going for a spot compression and ultra sound .....my gyn wanted to do a biopsy but the said none was needed  ..... has anyone been through this ? i am ready to go out of my mind...
nancy_heiman at yahoo is my mail
I had a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction with implants on 3/11 of this year.  My final phase of the reconstruction was completed with the construction on my new nipples on 11/22.  My general (not plastic) surgeon ordered a mammogram at my last visit to him in Sept.  I am scheduled for this tomorrow.  When I read the articles on the internet, no one thinks this is necessary since they didn't keep any of my breast tissue.  What should I do?  I am worried all over again!!!  I hope the surgeon has time to respond to this!!!!  Thanks!
DEar neatfreakmom,
  On a patient to patient basis, I would definitely clear it with the plastic surgeon tomorrow AM before your mammo.  I, too, had a bilateral mastectomy with implant reconstruction (exchange done 6/04) and I was told by my plastic surgeon  to NOT have mammos - like you mentioned because of no breast tissue and also the compression.  It doesn't hurt to clear it with your plastic surgeon.   What about a sono or an MRI if there is an area of concern?   Good luck.
Hi Nancy: Get as much information as you possibly can to help you make decisions about your care.  Core needle biopsy can be done which is less invasive than an excisional biopsy and depending on what is found, you can have an MRI as well.  Ask a lot of questions- write them down so you don't forget and have someone close to you help you think of them. If a certain treatment or test is recommended or not, ask WHY? Bring someone with you to take notes and ask questions.  Hang in there. Going through all this sucks and the waiting is the hardest part but you need to know what your options are.  Not all cancers show up on mammograms and sonograms and not everything that does is cancer so get as much information as possible.  I hope everything works out for you.
I can think of almost no reason to have mammography on reconstructed breasts, especially when the reconstruction was based on implants. Nor would sonogram or MRI be considered useful screening. You might ask your surgeon why he thinks it's necessary: it's possible there was a particular reason for being concerned about local recurrance. But even then, having implants would make it highly unlikely that mammography would be useful. Perhaps the surgeon is under the impression that your reconstruction was by TRAM flap; even then, I never ordered mammograms, because what's being looked at is not breast tissue, and the flaps very often have scarring or calcifications that can look "worrisom" but which have nothing to do with breast tissue or breast cancer.
Well had my spot compression and ultrasound at the breast center at my hospital and aside from a cyst he said I looked great!! said my tissue was good I even watched the ultrasound being in the medical field I wanted to know everything that was going on..... she was awsome , she showed me how they rread the mammogram and what they look for .... so I Thank God I got a clean slate and he said 1 year follow up!!  Thank you for all your support Im going to have my margarita!!  I gained 10 punds over this stress!! It is so hard waiting that was the hard part I think.....

stay in touch  and good luck

Nancy
Hi everyone! I need some advice here. Three weeks ago I had a pain on the side of my right breast and when I went to feel it I felt a lump about the size of a dime. I called my doctor and made a appointment with him and he also felt it and wanted me to have a mammogram done. So I did and then the radiologist looked at it and wanted me to have a ultrasound also. Then it was the next day before I heard anything and they told me both tests came back clear-nothing. I am really scared and nervous about this lump cause I know there is something there. I made another appointment with my doctor a week later and again he felt it. He then sent me to a surgeon where he felt it also and did a needle biopsy. I won't know the results of it till Monday 1-10-05. The surgeon after looking at the mammogram and ultrasound and by feeling the lump doesn't think it is anything serious but wanted to do the biopsy anyway I guess is to ease my mind. But then again, him knowing how worried I am that this lump bothers me so much he said he could go and take it out anyway. So what you do?
Would you leave it alone if the biopsy is okay and wait to see if it changes or grows or would you have it taken out knowing it bothers and scares you?
Don't know what to do!

The surgeon did the right thing (in fact, a needle gives way more info than the ultrasound, which in my opinion is rarely needed for something you can feel.) It's well documented that if a lump has an innocent feel (as judged by an expert, such as the surgeon), looks ok on mammogram, and if a needle sampling shows  non-worrisome cells, then the chance it's cancer is nearly zero. At which point whether you have it removed or not depends on you: if you're reassured by all that, then it's very safe to leave it: I'd always recommend a recheck in 3 months anyway. But if it'll drive you crazy, it would likely be very simple to remove it.
I had DCIS also.  In June I suddenly had neon yellow discharge after driving several hours.  At that time I was just shy of being 2 years post reduction surgery.  Doctors did numerous (and expensive) tests until August.  I had a lumpectomy on each breast 8-2-04 and I then had a bilateral simple mastectomy on 8-16-04.  Eight days later was in a collision....rear ended at a red light.  My shoulder belt works quite well and snapped me back abruptly.  Had bruising but it was well positioned so neither incision was disturbed.  The first of October I noted a lump on the right. (at the time of surgery this side had no Ca...just moderate epithelial hyperplasia).  I thought the lump to be a Lipoma.  Unfortunately, It began to grow and become quite firm....looked like I was growing a potato shaped lump that was measurably changing week to week.  Saw my GP and was told to see my surgeon ASAP.  Due to holidays I could not get in until 1-6-05.  Doc took a look and feel and said "we need to treat this very aggressively."  I am scheduled for surgery the 17th...again...  He is calling it "a chest wall mass".  I am not sure what to expect next but guess I will face it (and hope for the best)  I am disappointed to have further problems after the mastectomy.  My greatest concern other than expense (with no insurance) is my 81 year old Mom who lives with me.  Prayers, please!
hello everyone, i just started on Tamoxifen yesterday.  I am not sure how I feel about this.  It scares me a little.  My surgeon wants me to have an endometriel biopsy yearly with my pap smear to detect any cancer from this med.  Is this the normal course??  I had DCIS Stage 0 with lumpectomy(partial mastectomy) i'm one breast size smaller on the right now. With clear margins and 3 negative lymph nodes.  I had 36 weeks of radiation. and now the Tamoxifen.  I am 44 years old, guit smoking 18 months ago.  I have gained 25 pounds.  Is it true that the Tamoxifen can also cause weight gain.  I just ordered a treadmill and have been really watching my calories for a little over a week.  I also have a family history of heart disease, so i don't want to put on too much weight.  Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This sight has been a god send, and I hope they are able to continue. God bless all of you who respond to our questions and to the surgeon.
Have just been diagnosed with DCIS - very small area 2mm x 8mm.  cytology result showed  & that it was 'at least intermediate grade' but doctor giving me results told me it "had no legs" at this stage & I need wide excision followed with radiotherapy.   It's summer hols here in Oz and my surgeon of choice can't see me for another month.  Can I afford to wait or should I be looking at getting this done sooner?  Am 49 and not yet menopausal, infact am on pill due to heavy periods.  Anyone in / been in similar situation?  Many thanks
I understand DCIS is very slow...but if you are uncomfortable waiting another month then by all means ask your Dr of choice to refer you elsewhere if unable to still your fears or get you in sooner himself/herself.  I started with one surgeon...a very good one but I didn't like the hospital she practiced at.  She wanted to do a lot more testing that I could not afford and she agreed that in the end I would need surgery no matter what the other tests showed.  I asked for a referal to which ever doctor she would choose for herself.  I was very pleased and he got me in right away.
Thanks for your response - very nice of you to get back to me.  Am reassured to learn it's slow growing.  
Arles
After the failed attempt at core needle biopsy, I was sent to have an ultrasound (two weeks later).  The radiologist then told me that I had 2 calcification clusters, one at 9:00  and one at 12:00 in my right breast and that the positions of the clusters were "unusual" and she decided to sent me back to mammography (in 3 weeks) for another attempt at core needle biopsy, telling me that it was possible that my "appointment" before had not been long enough and she would book me for a double appointment to allow the surgeon more time to manipulate my breat to complete the procedure.  She then told me that maybe only one of the clusters could have the procedure and I would have to return to ultrasound for wire insertion for a surgical biopsy.  This is all sounding quite confusing, I know what the procedures are, but I concerned about the timelines.  I waiting another 3 weeks for the core needle biopsy   This puts me into 2 months of waiting and unanswered questions.  What do I need to ask, I'm at a loss?  Is this waiting period usual?
A related discussion, subtle calcifications was started.
A related discussion, calcification was started.
A related discussion, cancer was started.
A related discussion, removal os a mast that didnt show up in a mammogram was started.