Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy of breast cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy of breast cyst

Two weeks ago I was diagnosed with a breast cyst that had a thicker than usual wall. The radiologist said it was low suspicion. Last week I had the cyst aspirated and a biopsy done of the remaining wall. The fluid was completely aspirated and the cyst collapsed. The wall was still there though and they took a biopsy. The pathology results came back that it was an inflammed cyst.  I can still feel where the remaining wall of the cyst was but I'm told that it is like scar tissue and may or may not go away. I'm supposed to go back for an ultrasound in 6 months. Is this considered a complex cyst? Is it best to have the remaining part removed? I'm worried that it could become cancerous.
1 Comment
A complex cyst usually has two walls and contains both liquid and solid material. From your description I would not call what you had a complex cyst. The remaining wall is as they said similar to scar tissue and of no particular consequence. Cysts often remain, collapsed or not and cause no particular problems.  Regards .....