Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Biopsy on Calcification

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Biopsy on Calcification

After seeing the results of my second mammogram with the calcifications that raised concern, the radiologist recommended a biopsy. He said most of these turn out benign, but he just wants to be sure. I am scared. Any advice? Thanks so much.
Dear joanie08:  The radiologist is concerned based on the characteristics of the calcifications, that they could be growing around something concerning.  He doesn't see anything, mass or density but wants to be certain there is not anything there.  In these cases, a biopsy can be done to give an indication of what types of cells are in/near the area of calcifications.  Often these turn out to be negative but it is better to be safe.
Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.
I worried more about the biopsy than you can imagine and did not have someone to ask about it.  I was terrified.  I had it done about three weeks ago (stereostatic core biopsy for abnormal calcifications) and I can tell you it was a breeze and I was pleasantly surprised.  I felt no pain whatsoever during the procedure, nor did I afterwards.  There is barely a visible mark on my breast.  
Good luck.
Hi joanie08. I opted to have a stereostatic core biopsy for a cluster of abnormal calcifications yesterday, and was pleased with the less invasive mode of the procedure. In 1994 I had a full surgical biopsy for what turned out to be a fibroadenoma of my left breast, and also a needle aspiration of the right breast in 1997. The stereostatic biopsy was much easier than the surgery. The radiologist was able to obtain 10 good samples, and I am currently awaiting the results. The only pain I encountered was during two of the sample retrievals when I felt burning, and the soreness in my neck and shoulder from staying in one position for an extended period of time. The only other complication was fainting after the biopsy concluded and the final mammograms were taken. I had not eaten yet that day, and believe that the empty stomach along with the anxiety leading up to the procedure made for a light head. Today I have minor pain in my breast area with slight bruising and swelling. I feel so much better that I had the biopsy done and am taking the side of being safe. Good luck!
A related discussion, abnormal breast calcifications was started.