Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy or Another Mammogram in 6 months?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Annual mammogram showed 4 tiny calcifications in left breast. Radiology report states that they are most likely benign and recommend another mammogram in 6 months. I am a 50 year old white female with dense breast tissue. Am planning on seeing a surgeon to get his opinion on whether he feels biopsy necessary or to just wait 6 months.

Appreciate anybody's advice who has had similar results and what they did or what their doc's recommendation was.

Thanks!

Laurie
Hi.
Radiologists are quite able to identify typically benign breast calcifications depending on their form and pattern.If no suspicion is detected a biopsy is not required to prevent unnecessary procedures.
I presuming that your BI-RADS score is a 3,which means"Breast mammogram findings are most likely benign (90%), short term follow up test is necessary"
The BIRADS score,go from 0 to 5 and this terminology is used by radiologists to describe mammography findings.  
I really wouldn't worry so much if I were you, because what your radiologist has recommended is standard procedure.If the suspicion about these calcification were more elevated,a biopsy would have certainly been ordered.
But if you feel uncomfortable waiting six months for a follow up,by all means you could have your films read by your Surgeon for a second opinion.
Best wishes...
Thank you so much for your comment. I don't know what the score was but what you did say was in the report about 90% benign and follow-up in 6 months. Spoke to my Primary Care Physician today and she is sending me to a breast surgeon just as a precaution to get her opinion.

Thanks for responding ... now I just need this D&C tomorrow to go well LOL! Ah, getting old - nothing but doctor's appts. and procedures!

Laurie
Hi,bunkywoo,
I'm not sure where you are in Michigan but I hope you're near one of the bigger medical centers we are lucky enough to have here. I'm close to Ann Arbor, so I have great confidence in the testing results and treatment I get here. As zouzi said, radiologists are very capable of determining which mammo results require biopsy and which can be watched and re-evaluated. I've been in your situation many times---in the last two years I've had follow up mammos and MRIs every six months because they're watching some lesions and microcalcifications. Just as an example of how much the radioloists know, over two years ago I had two areas of microcalcs that they watched for six months and when they showed changes, a biopsy was ordered. The radiologist said only one area looked suspicious and she recommended watching the other area because it looked benign. Since I was having excisional biopsy anyway, my surgeon recommended biopsy of both. She was absolutely right: the one she thought was suspicious showed LCIS and the other one had only benign fibrocystic changes. Certainly, if the breast surgeon recommends biopsy you should proceed with that. But if he/she feels confident with the radiologist's assessment, I'd be comfortable with the six month follow-up. Almost all women have some calcifications but it's the shape and layout of the calcifications that can make the radiologists suspicious. Even when the calcifications are clustered, it is most often because of a benign process going on and not cancer. I hope this is helpful in easing your concerns somewhat.
I hope all goes well with your D & C, also. Please let us know how you're doing or if you have additional questions after your appointment with the surgeon if you wish.
All the best,
ncmichigan
Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I am in the Detroit Metro area so, yes, I have very good doctors accessible to me. I am going to Van Elslander (sp?) cancer center by St. John Hospital in Detroit. The surgeon is strictly a breast doctor so my PCP thought she would be the best person to get a 2nd opinion from - and I agree.

Yes, hoping the D&C goes well. My PCP told me that since I am still having periods that I shouldn't worry too much about endometrial cells in my uterus.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Have a great 4th!

Laurie