Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy results - should i be concerned - please help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I went to my doctor a month and a half ago with painful breasts. She examined me and send me off for mammo and ultrasound as she felt lumpy areas on both my breasts (I’ve always had lumpy breasts). Got the mammo and ultrasound done and the report said couple of complex cysts that should be followed up in six months. Other than that everything fine. That was enough to set my panic in motion and I decided to go to a breast surgeon. He did ultrasound of both breasts and said the left breast had multiple simple cysts and the right one had a couple of complex cysts. He told me the way to find out what they were was needle aspiration and if liquid is drained than the complex cyst is nothing but fluid. If not, then he would do core biopsy. Also I forget to mention, the right breast is also where I feel slight dimpling. So he was able to drain one of the cysts on the right but the other one ended up not being fluid. He did core biopsy on that and I just got the following results of that, which says:
Final diagnosis:
Breast, right, 10:00, 7 cm from nipple, core biopsy:
- Fibroadenoma
- Proliferative fibrocystic changes (Sclerosing Adenosis).
- No evidence of Atypia or Carcinoma
My question is, I understand it says no evidence of Atypia or Carcinoma, which I am absolutely thrilled about, but at the same time, I’m concerned to see the words proliferative and Sclerosing Adenosis. Should I be concerned? What should the follow up to this be? Should I be concerned since I do have a slight dimple on that side of the breast?
Appreciate someone’s reassurance

I am 42 with 2 kids, no history of family breast cancer but have been exposed to quite a bit of radiation in medical tests

Yes, no carcinoma and no atypia is very good news!

Your doctor will no doubt be discussiing the full patholgy report with you and making recommendations for whatever follow up s/he feels  is appropriate to your specific case.

Meanwhile, here are links to some previous threads which discussed sclerosing adenosis.  I hope these will serve to increase your understanding of the condition and reduce your level of concern.  

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/sclerosing-adenosis/show/1108523

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/fibrocystic-change-with-sclerosing-adenosis/show/626449

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/sclerosing-adenosis/show/616725

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Breast-Cancer/What-do-these-terms-mean/show/531103

Best wishes,
bluebutterfly
Bluebutterfly, thanks so much for responding. The information you provided is really helpful. I don't go for the followup with my doctor till another one month and so your response puts me at ease. I guess i've been fixated over this due to the slight dimpling that i notice. The breast surgeon had not even bothered paying a second thought to it when i mentioned to it when i went for the core biopsy.

Again thanks so much for your response!
Hi again,

Sorry I neglected to address that concern in my previouss posts.

While dimpling is on the list of possible symptoms of breast cancer, it can also be related to many benign processes.

Since you have already undergone mammogram, ultrasound, and biopsy, you can rest easy that it is not a sign of anything serious in your case.

Glad to hear you are feeling less anxious.

Regards,
bluebutterfly