Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy results

Has anyone had to wait more then 3-5 days for there results of a surgery biopsy? I had my done this past monday an now they office says it can take up to 1week. They removed a lymph node can it take that long for th pathologist to get a report. The waiting can really work on your nerves.
Mine took about 6-7 business days - some of the most stressful days of my life, to be sure!! I was blessed with a negative result, as I hope you will be!! Hang in there - many of us have been through it and all seem to agree, waiting is the worst!!! The odds are on your side - don't panic! :-) Let us know how it turns out!
My result took a week, until the follow up appointment.  I called two times before follow up appointment, first time they told me, report is not available; the second time, one day before the apointment, I was told, that the report was in, but the surgeon and the nurse were not available, no one call tell me anything via the phone. Well, is this just my case?

But I was told, if something "wrong" and need immediate attention, they may call you right away but I think depend on the Dr.   This also depend that after biopsy, when they sent out the sample for pathology reading.  I had biopsy on Fri, the sample was sent out on the following Mon. And report was in Wed and I had followup appointment on Thur to reveal the results - that was a week!

Waiting is bad, try to be clam and wish you the best.

I went back for the a post-biopsy exam today.  The nurse said that the result should have been faxed to the doc this evening (biopsy was yesterday morning), and they should call me tomorrow.  She said the only reason there might be a delay is if there is lack of certainty with the cells.  If so, the first pathologist might call in another to look at it.  If they don't agree, they might call in a third.  If there still is question, occasionally they seek opinions from Vanderbilt (Nashville) or MD Anderson (Houston) (this is Abilene, TX).  I suspect different breast centers have different SOP, but that's how they do it here.j

I'm calling first thing in the morning.
Let us know how your call went!!