Breast Cancer Community
Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Biopsy

I am scheduled for a biopsy tomorrow for suspicion of malignacy? Does this always mean that the lump is cancer? I found the lump and went in the next day to the dcotor's office. I was scheduled for a mam/us  Dec. 4th. At that time the doctors didn't know what it was so they did a follow up on Jan 7 2008. Now I have to go get a biopsy tomorrow morning. I'm very scared I have to be honest.

A biopsy is usually done with the purpose of a definite diagnosis and to rule out cancer.

What did your USG and mammogram reports say?

You need to relax, get a copy of all the reports.

Get the biopsy done and see what the results say. Worrying about it even without a confirmed diagnosis is not right.

Just talk to your doctor in detail about every step in the management plan. What type of biopsy is going to be done?

Do let us know how did the biopsy go and when are the results expected.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

A mammogram and ultrasound may help the physician focus on the size and location of the lump,involvement of nearby structures and other tissue changes.These however is not the gold standard for diagnosing on whether the lump is benign or malignant.Biopsy is still warranted since histopath studies will provide the definitive diagnosis .

I hope this helps. Keep results of your scans for future reference.Good luck!
I had a fine needle aspiration done this morning and I get my results back in a week. His attendant stated that he didn't think it was much of anything but only the biopsy will tell for sure.
Well I spoke to my doctor this morning and she told me that the report says it's suspicious. Meaning I had a mamm/us done in December and that showed some inflammation but the US I had on 1/7/08 showed suspicion.That is all she oh and including the fact that believes it's cancer because comparing my mamm/us from last year all was clear and that this is a new finding. That's why she believes it's cancer.I was also given antibiotics to see if the swelling would go down because at first the doctors said it was a swollen lymph gland that was 3cm but now it reads the mass is 2cm, but now it's not a lymph node. I just contacted the oncologists who performed the biopsy to get the results of my mamm/us.
It seems to me quite irresponsible for any doctor or technician to say you may have cancer without a biopsy. Inflammation does not pre-suppose breast cancer.

Wait till you get the results of the biopsy - this will definitively tell if there is a benign condition or a malignancy. Then you can take a huge sigh of relief, as some 80% of breast lumps are benign, or you can move on to further treatment. BC is not a death sentence these days, we are so fortunate that there are many new drugs to prevent recurrence.

Be positive.....
Liz.

Liz is actually right.

A definite diagnosis needs conclusive evidence - and your FNAC reports are still a week to come.

There are some changes which make a lesion more suspicious for malignancy - but that is all, a biopsy needs to be done for a confirmed diagnosis.

Just relax and wait for the reports to come in.

Till then, ask your doctor for a copy of the mammogram and USG reports - so that you can read for yourself what was reported exactly , including the BIRADS category given etc.

Most of the lesions are in fact benign. Lets hope yours is too. You need to be prepared mentally for anything but its good to be positive.

Do keep us posted about your progress.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.