BREAST CANCER
COMMUNITY
Black spot on mammogram and ultrasound?
by butterscotch23, Feb 14, 2008
I just got back from an ultrasound on my left breast which clearly shows a gray mass with a black spot about the size of a pencil eraser above it. I am scheduled for a biopsy next week, but the suspense is killing me! Can somebody - anybody! - offer any insight as to whether they have experience with black spots on their ultrasound, and what the outcome was? The two areas showed up clearly on the mammogram, also, which prompted the ultrasound, and now the biopsy. Thanks!
Member Comments (3)
by Computer_Voice, Feb 14, 2008
Unfortunately, your description of the lesion is too vague (in ultrasound terms) to comment on in any meaningful way.  Both good and bad things can show up clearly on a mammogram, and both good and bad things can look like a gray mass with a black spot above it. For what it's worth, most breast biopsies are benign.
by butterscotch23, Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for your reply. I went for a core biopsy today and found out that the mass is the size of a "fat, juicy grape" and is not "liquid" as I originally thought. The edges are also smooth, which is a good sign. There is a lot of cancer in my family -  my dad was diagonsed with prostate cancer at age 52 and died last year; my mother has had non-small cell lung cancer, and now has small cell lung cancer. Every female in her immediate family has had or has died from lung cancer, and my sister had cervical cancer. Needless to say, I am concerned. Sadly, I won't get the pathology report until Tuesday. I guess I am looking for an answer that nobody but the pathologist can give me, but if anybody wants to render an opinion, I'll take it!
by Bayleeboy, Mar 28, 2008
I had a mammogram which showed a very small spot.  Today I went for an ultrasound.  They were not able to locate the spot on the ultrasound so they've recommended that I wait six months and repeat the mammogram.  Apparently the spot changed ever so slightly from a mammogram I had the year before which was never disclosed to me then.  This is why he ordered an ultrasound.  I guess my question is, do I wait the six months or do I have someone else do an ultrasound just in case it was the technician who was just not able to locate it.  I really don't know what to do?  Thanks,