Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bleeding Nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bleeding Nipple

My nipple was bleeding in two places right next to each other on the right side of my nipple.  There was a constant dripping of very red blood (not watery, dark or milky) that went on for a little over an hour.  My doctor immediately ordered a mammogram which showed nothing, but told me the next time the bleeding starts to go right in for duct tests.

Most of what I have read about nipple discharge does not discribe this amount of bleeding, is this commmon or is this an indication of something else?  Do some papilloma cuase bleeding to this extent?  A nurse friend suggested I contact an Onocologist to "flush" my ducts to look for any cancer type cells, what do you suggest?

Thanks,
Pat
Dear Pat, Bleeding is not a normal finding, and is something that should be followed up on. There are several possible causes of this bleeding such as a papilloma, irritation, infection or even cancer, however cancers are rarely the cause of bloody discharge.  Your nurse friend is likely referring to a procedure called ductal lavage.  A breast specialist is the person who would be most appropriate for further evaluation of this situation.
Dear Pat...I would have it checked out now, I too had the same symptom, where my nipple bled and was told not to worry about it after a mammogram.  Well a few months later I had to have a fibrocystic cyst drained and then removed because of it, not all cysts show up on mammograms.  Where it had been very little when it bled, it became extremely large in sized because of waiting, and not further investigating the bleeding matter.