Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Blood Work Followup for Survivors?
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blood Work Followup for Survivors?

My mother had a mastectomy last year, followed up with 3 rounds of C-A chemotherapy.  Her 1.8 cm tumor was invasive and aggressive (3/3).  The 10 lymph nodes that were removed and tested were all gross negative, but one of the three sentinel ones that were identified with dye tested as micropositive.  Her estrogen receptors were negative, and she did opt for the recommended chemotherapy regimen.
She is doing fine a year later and sees her doctor once every three months.  Many breast cancer survivors and their friends and relatives are surprised that she is not routinely getting blood work done to see if the breast cancer is recurring.  Her doctor says the blood test is unreliable and that she doesn't need it.  I also read a Reader's Digest article where Jason Seahorn's(?) wife says she has blood work done during her routine followup to make sure her breast cancer is still in remission. What would they be testing for - breast cancer cells in the blood, red/white blood cells, or other?  Is this a standard followup test for breast cancer survivors?
I can't find any information on this.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could shed any light on this blood test question.
Thank you-
A Survivor's Son