Breast Cancer Community
Blood from areola

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Blood from areola

I have blood coming out of one breast from one of the bumps in the areola. I first saw it in my bra then next morning dabs of blood all over my sheets. I have always had greenish grey discharge out of both nipples and quite a few mammograms over the years particularly on that breast due to lumps and discomfort. Not sure how worried i should be about this

This discussion is related to blood in one breast.
The Montgomeries glands are the "little bumps" on the areola and they certainly shouldn't be producing blood. If you are sure this is coming from these glands or even from the nipple itself you should see your Dr. about it for a clinical breast exam and any appropriate testing that might be necessary. If you are 40 or older you should be having yearly exams and yearly Mammograms. Please ck. with your Dr. fairly soon about these symptoms.   Regards ....
Thank you and yes, it is definately coming from there. I will see a doctor this week.
You probably have talked to your doctor about this since you have had mammograms, what does the doctor say?  Blood is not a normal thing from the breast, nor is the greenish gray discharge, have you had infections in the past?  It really needs to be checked out more with an ultrasound/sonogram to see what the cause is, breasts do not normally bleed unless there is something wrong.
I went to a doctor last week. She did a breast exam and took a sample of the blood and sent me for an ultrasound. She said it felt like i had very cystic breasts and it would probably get worse as I approach menapause. I haven't heard anything else yet. No doctor has ever seemed that alarmed about the discharge though.
If you don't get a satisfactory answer from your Dr. about this bloody discharge then I strongly suggest that you make an appointment with a Breast Specialist. Bloody discharge has nothing to do with having cystic breasts and I'm not sure why the formation of cysts would increase as you approach menopause. Cysts are often related to the hormone levels in your body and menopause would reduce these levels. Please consider seeing the specialist.  Kindest regards ....