Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Blood from nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Blood from nipple

I had blood (3 drops) expressing from one of my nipples on Friday. My OBGYN saw me and set me up for a mammorgram and sonogram for this Friday. I'm 36. What are some possible reasons for blood coming out of the nipple?
Dear Tulip:  It is not uncommon to have nipple discharge, particularly when squeezing the nipples.  Nipple discharge can be white, gray, green, and brown (which could look like blood).  The time to be concerned about nipple discharge is when it's spontaneous (comes out without squeezing), persistent, and unilateral (only on one side).  If the discharge is clear and sticky (like an egg white), or bloody, then a doctor should be consulted.  If the discharge is determined to be blood (by hemocult), some of the causes could be intraductal papilloma (a wart like growth on the lining of the duct), intraductal papillomatosis (multiple growths), ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS - a precancerous condition), or cancer.  Your doctor has done the right thing by ordering further testing.
My wife has blood from the nipple and only one side. The doctors tried to squeeze it but nothing came out. It was very rare happen (~ about 2 months). She did mamogram (mammogram) and ultrasound but both are negative. She will get MRI. Any other method to detect the problems?

I too am interested in this.  I have had this condition for almost 2 years now, the bleeding is very sporadic, comes and goes, but by the time a dr. wants to test, it's gone again.  Today I had an onset went to the dr. and he wouldn't even do lab work on it.  Always the same response.    I have another Dr. appt. on 5-17-02.  They want to test it then, but it will be gone.  I have been very concerned, last night I got 9 drops of blood this comes from one side and from one duct.  I showed the Dr. a napkin from where I caught the blood , and still he refused the lab work.  A mammo has been done, it's clear.  This friday will be the 4th Dr. I've seen.  Good luck on your outcome.
A related discussion, Blleeding through nipple was started.
A related discussion, blood from nipple. was started.
A related discussion, blood in right side of breast was started.
Im only 24 and my nipple be sore some time and tender to the touch, and when I squeezed it a little discharge with a yellow tent and I squeezed again and blood came out that time. Im verry concerned and would like to know anything please..
A related discussion, blood oozing from breast was started.