Breast Cancer Community
Bloody discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Bloody discharge

I am 36 and just the other day noticed a brown scab like dot on my nipple.  I scratched it off.  I was unable to get my  nipple to secrete anything; however by milking the breast I was able to get a brown dark red color fluid out.  It does not come out spontaneously, it is only in one breast and only coming from one duct.  Everything that I have read about bloody discharge talks about it being bright red and spontaneous.  I saw the doc today and have to go in next week for mammogram, ultrasound and ductogram then wait another week to see the surgeon.  Any thoughts if this is similar to a papilloma?  Was not sure since the discharge seems to be different but the same, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for any thoughts suggestions or ideas
1 Comment
Hi there.

These symptoms can be due to a papilloma since bloody discharge is its common presentation.  Other than that, furuncles (infected hair follicles) can also cause this, especially the more chronic ones.  I agree that your doctor requested for a mammogram and ultrasound since these tests would give us a clue if there is something anatomically wrong with the breast.  They can also give a hint if we are dealing with a malignancy or not.  I hope that your tests would come out fine, and that the worst it could be is indeed a benign papilloma.  Good luck with your tests and God bless...