Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bloody nipple dicharge and cancer

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bloody nipple dicharge and cancer

My Mom is getting her last chemo today and will be scheduled for a mastectomy of her left breast on April 12. She is 76 years old. After, she will get radiation.

She had a lumpectomy 1st and they were not able to get all the lymph nodes out under her arm because they were too matted up with the cancer. Her CAT scan and bone scan came with clear results. The original plan was to shrink the area under her arm with the chemo and then go back in and get the rest out. Mid way through her chemo she had some kind of scan that showed the cancer was shrinking. That was a good sign.

Three weeks ago she has been getting a clear bloody discharge from her nipple. The same brest that she had the lumpectomy. The surgeon has decided to go with the mastectomy to play it safe. He told my Mom that it may not be anything. He does want to play it safe though. I was unable to go to her appointment with her and she won't ask any questions. I want to know what this discharge could or could not mean.

Thank you for your help,
Cindy
Dear Cindy:  Bloody discharge can be associated with a malignancy in the breast.  As we already know that your mother has breast cancer, so this may be a manifestation of the current problem or it could indicate some progression within the tumor.  Given the situation, it seems reasonable to proceed with mastectomy.
For the past two daysI have expressed a dark bloody discharge unilaterally and out of one duct  It has me very concerned.  I have been able to express a grayish greenish discharge out of both breasts and multiple ducts for the past 10 years that I know of but this bloody discharge has never happened before. What can you tell me about it and should I seek medical help?
Sincerely Denai
My first symptom that something wasn't right was bloody nipple discharge.  After an ultrasound showed 2 tiny masses (both less than 1 cm), I had biopsies done of the tumors, the ductal system, and the nipple itself.  All came back malignant. This was September 2002.

I went on to have a left mastectomy, and a sentinal node biopsy which came back negative.  However, after the surgery and upon examining the removal of the breast tissue, they found DCIS also.  So I was a ticking time bomb it seems.  I had no chemo or radiation, and was put on tamoxifen for 5 years, and Lupron for 2 years.

Any questions, I'd be happy to answer :)
Take care,
Sandy