Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Boil on nipple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Boil on nipple

I have what looks like a boil on my nipple--I have large nipples--and it hurts a great deal going from my breast almost to my back and down my arms.  I also have several bumps that look like whiteheads on the same nipple.  I have been able to sqeeze them slightly and have gotten what looks like pus out of them.  
The area is very sensitive to say the least!  I have an appointment to see the doctor next Monday (due to the holidays they are short staffed).  The nurse I talked with on the phone suggested hot compresses and an antibiotic cream on it.  The nipple is very swollen but the rest of my breast does not appear to be swollen (I have large breasts).  
I don't think I can stand having a mammogram right now until this heals up.  
Does this sound just like a regular infection or IBC or any other ideas?  I don't feel any unusual lumps.
I had a similiar situation last summer but did not have such a large thing that looks like a boil.  I was told I had an infection then--did not take any antibitics though--but the drainage was sent off to the pathologist.  I never heard anything back so I assume there was nothing to worry about.
I will be getting the mammogram and ultrasound (if needed) as soon as I can tolerate it.
Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Dear heimbca,  Skin on the breast and nipples is like skin anywhere on the body and is subject to a variety of skin problems. Over the internet without examination, we cannot say for sure what this is.  Having it checked by your doctor who can evaluate and determine what the best course of action would be to address this problem.
1 Comment
hi, am 21 and about a week ago just before i ovulated my left breast became tender. I thought it was normal cos in addition to cramps my breasts always gets tender when i'm menstruating. Just yesterday morning i noticed something that looks like a pimple or a small boil on my left nipple. But my breast is nolonger tender just my nipple. Should i take antibiotics? This has never happened to me before.