Breast Cancer Community
Bone Island

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Bone Island

Hi, I had an x-ray of my knee due to concern of ostoarthritis when they looked at x-rays they saw what they thought was a bone island in my tibia. I went back for 2nd e-ray and I am now scheduled for a bone scan to see if it is breast cancer that has gone to the bones.  My doctor said it was probably nothing to worry about but with my history no doctor is willing to say it isn't without further testing.  How would a bone scan tell the difference between bone island and mets to the bone and what is a bone island?
Bone island is a benign lesion which is managed conservatively with regular follow ups. Bone islands can usually mimic metastatic lesions on the xray and therefore need to be differentiated from them. Bone islands do not usually demonstrate increased radiotracer activity on bone scans. Thus, the bone scan has been used to help differentiate bone islands from more aggressive lesions such as metastases or primary bone tumors, which demonstrate increased scintigraphic activity. Thus in case of doubt it is best to go ahead with a bone scan and come to a definite diagnosis. Dont worry this is done just to be absolutely sure. Goodluck.
i had x rays on my hand and the repots came back saying that i have a tiny bone ISLAND on my left hand what is it and should i werry about it
I had some x-rays done 5 days ago. They show a bone island on my pelvis.  I know it was not there 3 years ago on some x-rays that were done on my hips. I know that I have been having major groin pain for a while now.   What makes a bone island appear?  

I go for a CT scan on Tuesday.  Will it show anything about this bone island?  
Bone island is a benign lesion which is managed conservatively with regular follow ups. Bone islands can usually mimic metastatic lesions on the xray and therefore need to be differentiated from them.

The exact cause of Bone islands is unclear.

On a CT image, bone islands appear as sclerotic and hyperdense foci with radiating  "thorny" features which blend with surrounding trabeculae.

Hope this helped. Let us know if there are any other queries and keep us posted on your health.

Best regards.
Thank you so much for responding.  I will know what the CT Scan shows next week!  Have a great day.

Glad the posts were of help to you.

Let us know about the CT reports and also post us on how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.