Breast Cancer Community
Bone Marrow

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Bone Marrow

My breast cancer has returned and is in the bone marrow and the gastrointestinal tract.  I don't seem to find alot of information about the bone marrow cancer.  I guess my main question is "prognosis of bone marrow cancer".
1 Comment
Hi there.

I'm sorry to learn that the cancer has returned.  Indeed, breast cancer can metastasize and spread to the bone marrow.  This is usually diagnosed through imaging studies such as an MRI, but the definitive diagnosis would involve a bone marrow biopsy.  Since the bone marrow is the site of blood product production such as white blood, red blood and platelets, the manifestations of bone marrow infiltration by cancer would include anemia, neutropenia (decreased white blood cells that can predispose you to infection), and thrombocytopenia (low platelets which can make you prone to bleeding).  This can still be treated with chemotherapy drugs that were not used before.  Prognosis wise, the 5 year survival for metastasis to bone marrow is 20% but can be increased up to 40-50% with treatment.

I hope you can start treatment soon.  Regards and God bless.