Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bone pain

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bone pain

I am metastatic breast cancer patient. Already had lung and liver mets and now now new mets in the spine area. [one of the vertebra compressed by cancer].

I had severe back pain before radiations were given.  During the radiation treatment (10 radiations) my pain was lessned. now 3 weeks after the radiation, I again am experiencing severe pain (less severe than before). i still take 2 pain medications every two hour but pain doesn't lessen.

why I am experiencing this severe pain after 3 weeks of radiations? Does that mean the cancer cells are still there? or is this the side affect of radiation?

i am currently on Navelbine and zometa.
I would appreciate any answer.
Dear melody03, There could be several reasons for continuing to have pain at the site.  For instance, it could be that the pain is because of the compression of the vertebra, swelling at the area, or damage caused by the cancer. As you are recieving treatment for the cancer in general, what needs to happen is an assessment of your pain and the effectiveness of your pain control regimen.  It is not uncommon that even though the area was treated with radiation, that you might need to continue pain medication indefinitely.  It sounds like an adjustment needs to be made in your current regimen, and that would start with a good assessment of the situation.   Make sure your oncologist is aware that you are experiencing severe pain, despite what you are currently taking for pain control, so that proper adjustments can be made.