Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Bone scan

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Bone scan
I take femara and just finished a year of herceptin. I am 6 months out from radiation, double mastetomy,chemo and have had a bone scan and x-rays due to rib pain and it came back positive for cancer in the 11th rib. It was compared to the bone scan I had a year ago. The rib pain I had wasnot in the 11th rib. I had blood tests and the markers are good and it showed no breast cancer cells. Which is right. Do I need a pet scan? Do I now have stage 4 cancer?
Dear Carfish53, Different types of scans give different pieces of information, and the results of each need to be interpreted in context of the overall situation.  The determination that the abnormality seen on the bone scan is breast cancer is based on correlation of the results with the overall clinical picture.  Your oncologist would be best able to advise as to what further testing would be appropriate - in context of your individual situation.