Breast Cancer Community
Breast Aspiration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Aspiration

4 years ago I was diagnosed with right breast DCIS and had 2 surgeries.  At my most recent 6 month mammo last week the doctor aspirated a cyst on my left breast.  The fluid was sent to a pathologist and came back questionable with atypical cells.  3 days after the aspiration I had a clip put in that spot and was told the cyst had filled back up....Why does an aspirated breast cyst fill up with fluid within 3 days of the procedure?  I have an appt next week to see my surgeon... should I be concerned.  The fluid was not bloody but cloudy....
1 Comment
Most breast cyst are benign,and it's really not unusual that some of them refill and need to be drained off. When a cyst refills with fluid that is bloody, brown, or cloudy,it's usually recommended to surgically remove it completely.But of course, the answer to that must come from your surgeon.
Having "atypical" results, is not to be ignored at this point,even if most cysts with atypical cells are found to be benign in nature.
Your surgeon will have to further evaluated the cyst to make sure that it's harmless.
Wishing you all the best...