Breast Cancer Community
Breast Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Biopsy

My name is Susan.  I am a 55 yearold female. Had a diagnostic mammogram and utrasound.  scheduled for an ultrasound guided breast biopsy,  Things are highly suspicious for cancer.  Have a birads rating of 5.  What happens if i am diagnsoed with stage 3 or higher.  What would be next step.  Thak you
Hi Susan,
BIRADS category 5,means that the tumor is indeed highly suspicious,but even with all the tests being done,it's not a 100% that the tumor is cancerous,because there are also some benign tumors that can appear malignant on mammogram films.A biopsy is the ONLY way to make a definitive diagnosis.
After a lumpectomy and axillary lymph node dissection, ( IF your biopsy results is positive for cancer) your final pathology report will include information about the stage and grade of the breast cancer, the accurate size of the tumor,whether it's invasive or non-invasive and if the cancer has spread to lymph nodes or to other parts of the body beyond the breast.
For now, you haven't been diagnosed with nothing yet.But if unfortunately the tumor turns out to be malignant,rest assured that your team of doctors will study in details your particular situation and will plan the most appropriate course of action for your treatment to eradicate this disease.
Wishing you all the best and good luck...
Hi, Susan,
I can understand your concerns and it sounds like you're in a scary situation right now. A BIRADS 5 is frightening, but we have had women here with similar circumstances end up with benign results on biopsy. But zouzi is right---until  the biopsy results are in, try to just take one step at a time. I know it's easier said than done, but try to stay positive and try not to worry about the "what ifs". Once the biopsy is over, you'll be able to deal with "what is" a whole lot better with the help of your medical team.
Please let us know how you're doing if you wish, by adding a note to this thread. We do care and we wish you an easy biopsy experience. Stay hopeful---I'm sending you a big hug from Michigan (           ).
nc
Tk you for feed back  i have stage 2 and will have to have hormone therapy  was 90% on both estrogen and progesterone  applied for medicaid and have to wait 14 to  21 days to see if i qualify  then will see surgeon  also applying for SSI as i am caregiver for my mother and her husband  both have althezimers and other medical issues and i dont get any compensation  dealing with it but just want to see surgeon  not good at waiting lol  tks for support  will get back to you tks Susan
I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis! Having cancer is so overwhelming and we know this journey is very challenging, but I am sure you can do this,like many of us did,and we are here to support you and encourage you during this difficult time.
Just take one step at a time,be strong and follow your doctor's specific treatments planned just for your.I am very hopeful that when all your   treatments are completed,this disease will be a thing of the past and you'll be well again.
My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I sincerely wish you all the best..