Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Cancer and Ameridex

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Cancer and Ameridex

I had dcis and had surgery!  The cancer did not travel to the nodes-I had my sentinel node removed and it was negative-I was so blessed!  I just finished 38 rads treatements and I have to decide if I want to go on Arimidex!  Please advise is you think I should!  There are so many side effects and I do not want to have to worry about that next!  I thank you!
Dear Elinka: We cannot give recommendations for your particular case, but we can tell you that tamoxifen is frequently recommended to reduce the risk of breast cancer recurrence following breast conserving surgery for DCIS (noninvasive breast cancer).  Arimidex (anastrozole) is an aromatase inhibitor that is most frequently used in the treatment of invasive cancer, but is currently under investigation in other situations including DCIS and breast cancer prevention. The risks and benefits of any treatment will depend on your individual medical history and your concerns should be discussed with your oncologist.
Because my tumor was so highly positive for estrogen (98%) and since I was postmenopausal, everyone I spoke to (in the medical field) and all the articles I read lead me to the decision to definitely go on Arimidex.  The only side effect I've had are hot flashes but, I had them when I went off of Premarin when my mother developed breast cancer five years ago.  A few aches and pains which I attribute to being out of shape and gaining quite a bit of weight though this whole thing and then having my husband need surgery for a brain tumor (benign).  It's a personal decision you have to make for yourself but whenever I was given a decision that increased my odds of living longer with no recurrences, I grabbed those odds.  Good luck.
Thank you for your information!  GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL OTHERS WHO HAVE SUFFERED WITH BREAST CANCER!!!