Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Cancer twice, each different.

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Cancer twice, each different.
I had non invasive hormonal, Ductal Carcinoma, in-situ, 2 years ago and had a bi-lateral mastectomy procedure done with reconstruction. I was told at the time that they could not guarantee they would be taking 100% of the breast tissue and there was a 1-2% chance I could get breast cancer again.  Well, guess what, I now have been diagnosed with invasive non hormonal carcinoma.  I am in the process of Chemo and will do surgery to remove the implant and the diseased area and then 33 treatments of radiation.  My question is,  "How often does this occur?"  I know 1-2% but is there anyone out there that this has happened to?
Dear NuKid1631:  It is not common, but it is possible, to develop a second primary cancer after bilateral mastectomy because there is usually some residual breast tissue that remains.  We will post for others comments.