Breast Cancer Community
Breast Cancer...Adrenal Cancer?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Cancer...Adrenal Cancer?

How can I find information about breast cancer that may have spread to the adrenal glands?  I have searched the internet and can find only Adrenal cancer, and that breast cancer often leads to it.

I need help, my sister, who had a double mastectomy a few years ago, just told me that her adrenal gland was ex rayed and it was puffy...she is getting a PET scan soon on it.  There was also a spot on her lung.  

I'm scared her breast cancer has come back in those areas.  She has most of the symptoms of adrenal cancer that are listed.

Can someone help me?
-8 Comments
Hi there.

Breast cancer and Adrenal cancer are two separate entities.  Breast cancer can spread either both to the adrenals or to the lungs.  Another possibility is if the person is a heavy smoker, the spot in her lungs can be a separate primary cancer which can also spread to the adrenal gland.  A primary adrenal gland tumor is also possible though this may not be necessarily malignant, for even benign adrenal tumors can cause symptoms.  The PET scan would really help to establish the activity or the nature of the new findings, however an adrenal gland biopsy may be warranted to be definitive about the diagnosis.  

I hope the results will all turn out to be OK.  Regards and God bless...