Breast Cancer Community
Breast Cyst Biopsy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Cyst Biopsy

Over the past year my mammograms have detected a cyst in my left breast and one in my right breast. Follow-up Ultrasound confirmed a cysts in both. The breast docotor flagged it for biopsy but when I was on the table and ready to go he said he doesn't do biopsies on cysts. I was angry to say the least since he was the one who flagged my Ultrasound and then didn't do the procedure. Well 2 weeks ago it was flagged again and this time there is a nodule on the cyst on my left breast. I also have extremely sore breasts for last 6 months and severe itching at times. I had the cyst drained and assumed it was sent for biopsy. I just found out today after waiting and worrying for 13 days that the fluid was never sent to a lab. I am so upset and angry right now as I don't understand why??? My sister was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer at the same age but completed treatement and is ok. Any ideas on next steps? I'm beside myself with frustration. Thanks
I'm not sure why the fluid drained from a confirmed cyst would be sent for Pathological study. This is something that is often done in the Dr.s office. The recent finding of a nodule would seem to require a biopsy but you make no mention of the report containing such a recommendation. If you were not advised to have a biopsy of the nodule (not the cyst) I would advise you to see a different Breast Surgeon/Specialist and have him/her evaluate the previous films and go from there. The draining of the cyst would not be related to a biopsy of the nodule that you mention being found. You might also either read the entire report of the most recent filming OR have your own Dr. explain it in detail. Since you are obviously not comfortable with the Breast Specialist I would definitely make an appointment with someone else.   Regards ....
My family GP was sent a report which I haven't seen confirming a nodule on the cyst and that a biopsy was recommended. My GP called me at work and advised I needed a biopsy due to the new findings of a nodule. The report was sent from the Breast clinic where I have been going for several years for my mammograms and Ultrasounds. I don't know why a biopsy of the nodule wasn't performed and only the cyst was drained. The doctor performing the procedure was the one who wrote the report. I agree I need clarification from my GP and will review the report with him when I see him on Monday. I will ask to see a specialist since I am not comfortable going back to the doctor at the clinic. Thanks for the response, much appreciated.
Good thinking .... it could be that the Radiologist didn't think he was the person to do a biopsy ... as a rule they are done by Surgeons and it would have to be decided as to what type would be best in your particular situation. You're on the right track.
I saw my GP and it turns out that when the doctor drained the cyst it collapsed therefore the nodule is inconsequential and is not cancer. I just wish the biopsy doctor told me this at the time of the procedure, it would have saved me two weeks of worrying. Anyway I have been reassured that cysts are never cancer and I don't have anything to worry about. I will go to a different clinic in another year as I need annual tests but hopefully I will have better experience and I'll be sure to ask questions if needed. Thanks for the advice and support.
That's good news but I'm not quite clear about the nodule being of no concern now. I would think that if it is still there then it needs to be investigated in some way. It is true that cysts are negative findings and don't turn into cancer. I do hope you will be better satisfied with the new Clinic next year. Regards ...