Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Dimple

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Dimple

I am a 52 year old woman who has a history of fibrocystic breasts.  I was on HRT but discontinued use almost one year ago.  In doing my breast self-exam I noticed a dimple in my left breast (it's been there awhile, but seems bigger).  I immediately went to my surgeon and he did a thorough exam and said he didn't think it was anything to be worried about.  I didn't think at the time to ask him what else would cause a breast dimple other than a tumor.  He didn't seem concerned and I see him every six months.  Should I be concerned enough to request an ultrasound?  I felt relieved when he told me he didn't think it was anything, but have since read lots about breast dimples and am a little concerned.  What other conditions cause breast dimples?  I have found little info on the Internet ... all info I have found says that this should be a concern.  Thank you.
Dear mathilda:  The first step would be a mammogram, if you did not already have one.  Ultrasound is usually best at distinguishing a solid mass from a fluid filled cyst and may not be helpful in determining the source of your "dimple."  If you have had a mammogram and it is negative, you might ask your doctor about a breast MRI.  Another option is to gather a second opinion from a breast specialist.  If all is negative, then early follow-up may be acceptable but a growing dimple needs explanation.
Mammogram would be the most important step: you didn't mention having it, although I find it hard to believe a surgeon would evaluate your for a new dimple and not order one, so I assume one was done and was ok. Ultrasound isn't all that helpful as a solitary screening device. If the exam and mammogram were ok, then followup is acceptable, although with a perceived change, I'd be inclined to make it more like 3 months than 6, initiallyl.
I had my last mammogram in May and everything was okay.  Should I go ahead and have another one.
Given that there's a change in your breast, I'd be ordering another mammogram if you were seeing me: 7 months is a long enough time that it's possible something new would show.