Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Discharge in an 11 Year Old Girl

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Discharge in an 11 Year Old Girl

I hope you can help.  An 11 year old friend has been having discharge from her breasts for about 7 months.  It is brownish but grey when it dries.  Her mother has taken her to see the nurse practioner at the obgyn but has not seen the doctor.  They did a smear and it appeared infection, but the 3 antibiotics did not work.  They then said it was a cyst and referred her to a surgeon.  I am not sure what the point is when surgery does not appear eminent!  The took her off caffeine and increased certain vitamins.  I think nothing showed up wrong with her pititurary gland or her thyroid.  She was losing her at some points.  She is 5'8" and a very active athlete.  She has just started her period this summer.  When I was told it concerned me because the obgyn had not seen her and because no really had fixed it or told her parents what it was.  Nor was I sure it was not something extremely grave or serious.  Any answers would be helpful!  Email to ***@****
Dear triney:  It is not uncommon for girls to have breast discharge at puberty.  It is hormone related.  It is not uncommon for there to be nipple discharge. The time to be concerned is if the discharge is bloody or clear and sticky (like an egg white) AND it is spontaneous (comes out without the nipple being squeezed, and is unilateral (on one side only).  In the absence of any other symptoms, I would recommend keeping an eye on it for a while and see if it resolves when her hormone levels stabilize a bit.