Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Discoloration/Bruise

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Discoloration/Bruise

On Feb 20th I had a mammogram.  The computer assisted macchine detected "extra tissue" so another view was taken the same day -- the Cleopatra view I was told.  I figured for sure I would be asked to come back.  For the next ten days I did a lot of looking and feeling of my left breast but could detect nothing.  In ten days I called to get my radiology report -- it was a perfect report which included a comparison of the current films to my films one year ago.  I am thirty nine (very soon to be 40) years old.

On April 13th I noticed a tan/blue/green colored bruise on my left breast - the same breast that the additional mammogram view was taken.  The bruise looks like a half cicle with normal tissue in the middle.  

I have no other symptoms such as lump, itching, pain, redness, rash, increase in breast size, no palable lymph nodes -- none of that.

I went to my obgyn who said that she agreed there was a discoloration.  I was also worried about prominent veins around the area.  She said that there are other areas of veins that are equally visible on the breast so that this in itself is not concerning.  

My obgyn felt that it was not deemed necessary to send me to a breast surgeon for second opinion at this point after viewing and feeling the area.

I am so worried and look at this breast constantly.  It is hard for me to tell if it is getting any worse since I look at it so often during the day.  Sometimes it looks better than at other times.  It can depend on the lighting and how warm/cold I am.

Do you think I should seek a second opinion now or wait?
Dear cpa1:  Bruises can appear on the breast just like any other tissue and are usually a result of trauma (bumping, hitting, etc).  It is even possible that the mammogram caused some internal trauma and the bruise is only now reaching the skin.  If you are concerned or if this appears to be getting worse, a second opinion is reasonable.
I have brusing and pain during and after having a mammogram. Is that normal?
A related discussion, breast discoloration was started.