Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Heaviness with mass in breast??

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Heaviness with mass in breast??

I have a lump in my right breast, I had a mamogram (mammogram) done last year and the Breast surgoen said that it was normal and should go away. It is a year and a half later and the lumps are still there and now both breast have this heaviness about them and are real sore. I am 28 and had a full hystro 2 years ago. So it is not from your monthly period. Somedays under my arms are sore like you have just worked out to much. I do have an appointment to the doctor next week, but was just wondering of anyone has heard of this. Thanks
Dear awillard:  Breast pain is a common breast symptom.  The reason for breast pain is not clearly understood, and is not usually associated with breast cancer.  Breast pain is sometimes associated with hormonal variations and is then called cyclical breast pain.  Noncyclical breast pain does not seem to be linked to hormonal variations and is often localized to one area of the breast tissue.  Noncyclical breast pain may or may not be the result of an injury to the breast.
Breast pain is evaluated based on the history of the pain you would give to the health care professional, as well as a physical examination.  The need for further testing would be determined based on the above findings.