Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Indent

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Indent

About 2 years ago I noticed a slight dent in my left breast on the left side of it. The dent is where I had always had a ropey like thing that never changed. I have small breasts and didn't think much of it. A little later I injured the right Breast and went to an urgent care doc. He looked at the left at the time and said I had a cyst growing at the top of that breast near the nipple. I asked about the dent and he looked at it and said I "have a lot of things going on in there" he didn't suggest a mammo or anything so I wasn't too concerned still. This breast has always been a problem. I had a biopsy done back in '93, and two bad infections in it since then. The last being about 4 years ago.

Recently I have developed a deeper crease that goes from the left side through the bottom part of the nipple and just to the right side of the nipple. the whole breast seems to swell slightly and becomes painful if I try wearing a bra. Friday I visited my family doc and she scheduled me for a mammogram and ultrasound and gave me the name of a surgeon and started talking about oncologists! YIKES! I'm really scared now! I don't have any family history of ANY kind of cancer from anyone in my family. Should I stop freaking out like it's probably nothing or continue to freak out?

Dear CarpeDiemOCC:  Without evaluation, it is impossible to speculate on what this might be.  Our advice is to follow up with the mammogram, ultrasound and surgeon and this will hopefully give you the answers you need to move forward.  Do your best not to freak out as this will not be helpful no matter what the outcome.