Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Itch all the time

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Itch all the time
For the past month or so, my breast's (areola) have been itching constantly all day and at night. I have tried to find something on the web about it, but have failed to find any information.  The only information that I found stated that it could be a very rare form of Breast Cancer.

Any information about this would be so helpful.  I have my annual exam in Sept., but I don't know if I should go to my OB/GYN sooner. I am very concerned about it.  As I find myself scratching at night and then my breast's are all scratched up in the morning.
Dear purpledolphin3:  Have you recently changed laundry detergents or bath soaps?  Have you purchased new undergarments?  As this itching is on both breasts, this sounds more like it could be a contact dermatitis or skin allergy.  The type of cancer you are concerned about - called Paget's disease -generally presents on one breast as scaling, bleeding, redness and itching - and it is uncommon.  If you cannot identify any reason (from the list above) that you might be having this itching, you should see your doctor.  He/she may refer you to a dermatologist.
If there's no rash, it's pretty unlikely to be related to breast cancer (I assume the form referred to is the one called Paget's disease.) It's not a worrisome symptom, but any change in your breasts should be evaluated. Meanwhile, you should experiment with different bras: try to find a pure cotton one, or put cotton cloth on the inside. Short-term, it might help to use an over the counter cortisone creme. But still have it cheked, to be safe.
I would go see a doctor right away. About a year ago my friend had an itchy area on her breast that turned into a rash. She went to the doctor and they treated it as an infection for awhile. Finally they did a biopsy and it was cancer... Inflammatory Breast Cancer. A very rare form of cancer and the most deadly. It does not normally show up on a mammagram... hers didn't. A week and a half ago my friend died. It had spread to her lungs and throat. Ladies... we need to be aware of this deadly cancer.
I wish you well...
Patricia
Thank you all for you help.  As I am going to call my OB/GYN this afternoon and get in right away.