Breast Cancer Community
Breast Itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Itching

Hello Doctor,

I'm janu, 24 years old girl.

I'm having itching on both my breast for past 6 months. It usally itchs after my showers. I cant stop itching after showsers. Due to which i have got dark patches on both my breast.

I have normal periods.

I had irregular eating habits, which had affect my diet. Now i'm regular with my diet.

I'm taking Homeopathi medicine for past 2 months for cold and wheezing problem.

Can i know what be cause for itching?

Any medicine to remove the dark patch on my breast and to reduce itching.

Please suggest me any ointments to remove the dark paths on my breast.

Can i use them since i'm taking homeopathi medicine for cold?

Thank u,
Janu
Avatar n tn
Hi Janu.
How are you doing?
You are having localized itchiness involving both breasts, and are usually triggered by having a shower.  You may have an allergic reaction to the brassiere you are wearing, either in the fabric itself or in the detergent you are using in washing it.  There is also a possibility of a localized skin infection causing the itchiness.  
The dark patches are secondary to frequent scratching, causing hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin) and hyperkeratosis (thickening of the skin).
For the mean time, you can take any antihistamine (Cetirizine or Loratidine).  You should also consult your doctor for further evaluation and management.
Good luck.
Avatar n tn
Hi Dennis,

I'm fine thank u.
How r u doing?
Thank u for ur reply.
Is it true that breast itching may lead to breast cancer?
Can this darkening and thickening of skin be cured?

Thank u,
Janu
Avatar n tn
Hi Janu,
I’m doing well.  Thanks for asking.
There is no evidence to suggest breast itching may lead to cancer.  It is a non-specific symptom and can be caused by a lot of things.  Breast cancer results from genetic mutations involving several genes.  There are risk factors for its development.
The darkening and thickening of the skin can be cured.  First of all, the cause should be determined so that appropriate management can be given.  There are topical keratolytics that can address the thickening of the skin.  But it is best to consult your doctor.
Take care.