Breast Cancer Community
Breast Lump, spreading pain...down to ribs.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I found a lump on my outer breast (left)...somewhat on the way to the armpit. A few days later it began to hurt. The pain goes through the breast, up the armpit and is now spreading into my rib cage. There is now some swelling in the ribcage below left breast (almost feels as though the ribs are broken). I went to a Dr. and he had me get a mammogram and ultrasound. They can feel the lump but could not see it clearly on the mammo and not at all on an ultrasound as the lump "hides" while I am laying down.  They did not see anything looking like a cancerous mass. I have yet to hear from my doctor and the pain goes away and comes back. When the pain is there it is sharp and throbbing. I am beginning to feel pain throughout my breast/chest bones on both sides now. I have been on antibiotics and nothing is helping. I have not injured the affected areas. I am under a lot of stress and someone mentioned Lymph Node overload? At times the lump feels like a few little lumps and other times as one larger lump (about the size of half a grape). Does anyone know what this could be? I was also born with rheumatoid Arthritis if that helps. I am 29, female and have one child.
Hi there.

This pain in the breast with some form of lumping that comes and goes throughout the month may just be the usual reaction of breast tissues to the natural fluctuation of the female hormones.  Indeed, the response of the breast tissues are varied and we cannot really predict who is more predisposed to this symptoms.  While this phenomenon is benign and does not predispose to cancer, I agree with your moves to have this seen by your doctor and undergo work up such as mammogram and ultrasound.

I would still suggest you undergo periodic clinical breast examination by your doctor just to make sure there is nothing to worry about.

Regards and God bless.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have read about the hormone fluctuations, etc. but that still does not explain the swelling of the ribs below the breast nor the pain running down the ribs and down the arm. I was hoping someone may have suggestions as to what this all (acculmulatedy) could be. I am now having pains down my left hip and leg. My breast is still sore but not as badly as before. I started my period this past weekend (I was 3 days late).... it's just so odd and scary.
Hi I have been experiencing the exact same thing...it's scary and it takes a lot of courage to call your doc...it's like I want to know but I don't....it's good to hear other people are going through the same thing at our age (I'm 31). I am supposed to schedule an breast ultra sound exam-haven't done it yet. My pain is more on this small cyst they found (Doc said I shouldn't be concern) and teh pain in my arm is more in my inner bicep area...I also have the rib pain as well-but just one or two ribs not all of them-but the pain is all on my left side...and it's only little 2 minute bursts on and off throughout the day.
Hi, I went to the doc today because I am starting to have these same feelings just under my right breast. It hurts severly along the edge of my rib cage starting just below the bottom of my boob. I was told that it was an inflamation (inflammation) of the cartladge in between my ribs. I also have a knot with almost unnoticable brownish bruising. I was told to take naprocen and "be very careful". I'd like some better answers too. Maybe it will go away though.
hi, im a college freshman who just turned 18 a few months ago and im starting to feel the same thing.  Ive had chest pains of the past year on and off lasting about 10 mins a time but i never thought much of it.  Just about 3 nights ago I started getting this really sharp intense pain in my right breast and its starting to spread to my ribs.  I dont feel any lumps but I havent checked well enough because even the slightest pressure sets of a shooting pain :/.  Im to afraid to go to the health center without having at least a little bit of knowledge of what could be wrong so im not completely blindsighted if something serious is wrong.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I have had a similar pain under my breast along the rib cage. There is a tender bump
that I have felt at times. I had the ultrasound technician go over it and she did not see
anything, but she too felt it. Of course since I am due to meet with a breast surgeon on friday to discuss biopsy options for microcalcs and some suspicious masses, I immediately think "OMG it has spread to my chest wall or ribs." But I am now working on not panicking. Odds are it is not breast cancer. I will be asking the breast surgeon on Friday about it. I will let you know what her opinion when I see her.
my breast surgeon said it probally was part of my fibrocystic disease. i am scheduled for an MRI which will help better determine what it might be.
Hi, I am still having the pain throughout my left breast, down the arm (a burning sensation) and the rib pain. This is so frustrating that so mnay women have the same problems but no answers..... The lump is still there also...this is ridiculous. Please, those of you whom have health insurance (as I do not, haha) and go to the doctor, let me know what they think it could be.
Hi, Im 23 and been having some type of similar pain!  A couple of months ago I was lying in bead and happened to run my hand across my breast and I kinda squeezed some tissue that Ive always had in that area (upper outter area near armpit).  The couple of weeks after that I had been continuely poking and prodding at that spot!  Its became darker as my breast is now darker in most spots!  Ive noticed some lumps in my armpit and above my collar bone....And I did have a pain down my left arm..maybe a slight burning sensation...since then it hasn't been hurting (arm).  I went to the ER and she told me that It most likely was from me continuing to mess with the area and thats probably why its darker and has been burning a little! As far as the lump under my arm and the tiny ones on my collar bone....she said that I have a lot of lymph nodes in that area and its probably my body reaction to the constant probing that I have been doing in that area!......She told me that I could schedule a free ultrasound just for peace of mind but I haven't done so yet and its been 17 days since my ER visit!  Im not as scred anymore but i dont want to have anything seriously wrong with me..someone help
Get an MRI NOW...insist on it. I had the exact same problem and was told they couldnt find anything...2 years of ultrasounds, mamograms, Dr. checking it.  GUESS WHAT, I have STAGE 3 breast cancer. Was told it was a cysts and breast cancer doesnt hurt...BS... I had this pain without a lump...then with a lump...was told it was hormonal changes...perimenopause all sorts of answers. But not the correct one. Insist on a MRI....NOW... dont wait...

A related discussion, I have massive pain under armpits/ribs/boobs was started.