Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Lump/Breast size growth

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Lump/Breast size growth

About 2 years ago my breasts began to grow. I went from a size 36a to a 36dd. 18 months ago I found a lump, LB, about the size of a golf ball. I had it checked and was told it was fatty tissue and the breast growth was normal, I was a late bloomer. The mammo found a smaller lump in my RB and that one was the size of a pea. They wanted to keep an eye on that one. Well it's been a year and the one in my LB is the size of a small lemon (Oval) and I have another painful lump on the side close to my armpit. Not sure about the RB but yesterday I had a mammo. The tech came back and took a second set of my LB, (right in the area I felt the new lump), and asked if they could schedule me, would I stay for an Ultrasound. They couldn't but I have an appointment on the 29th. She said my tissue was very dense and the RB had to be taken again because it "did not come up." Not sure what this all means but I'm scared. Just need some advice on how to proceed. Sister had Lumps removed (Cysts) and my aunt had cancerous lumps removed.
Dear Bronxgrl1:  Without evaluating your mammograms and doing a physical examination, it is impossible for us to speculate on what these lumps may be.  It is not uncommon for breasts to be painful and lumpy, particularly around certain times in the menstrual cycle.  There are also many types of lumps that are benign.  If the tissue is dense, mammography can be difficult to interpret and ultrasound or digital mammography in combination with physical examination can be helpful.  Your appointment on the 29th will hopefully provide you with the information you need in order to know how to best proceed.  
I have had a similar situation and I am also scared to death.  I am a 32 year old. I had to have a hysterectomy when I was 24 because of severe adenomyosis (like endometriosis). I have only one (non functional) ovary. About 5 years ago, I found a small pea sized lump on my left breast.  My doctor just told me to watch it.  Now, 5 years later, this lump is about the size of a quarter. I had a mommo and ultrasound yesterday.  The radiologist also asked for extra film and then said my breasts were too dense. I had an ultrasound and they found a quarter sized "fibroadanoma Tumor".  The radiologist said that it may be benign or may be malignant. But i would need a biopsy to be sure.  When I told him of my previous medical history, he looked at the tech with a funny look and told me to just talk with my doctor, then left.  After I got home, I read looked up this Fibroadanoma Tumor online and found that it is a tumor found in young women from teens to late twenties, and is associated with the estrogen of the menstral cycle.  I am 32 years old and have been on and off Hormaone replacement therapy for about 8 years, plus too Lupron injections for a year before my hysterectomy. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts, my appointment with my doctor for the results isn't for another 12 days.  Please give me some feedback.
Ladies, I'm glad you're both having your lumps checked out. I also have very dense breasts, cysts, fibroadenomas, and calcifications so they do mammos every 6 months on me. I've also had 3 biopsies, all benign. I keep a close eye on the lumps I can feel and if they change I go to my doctor. I'm trying to reassure you that your lumps may be fine, even if you are sent for a biopsy. At the same time, it's important that you see a breast specialist you trust and have a biopsy if needed. Different surgeons have differing opinions on removing fibroadenomas. Make sure you're comfortable with any decision.