Breast Cancer Community
Breast Lump Removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Lump Removal

2 weeks ago I found a lump in my left breast.  I went to my ob-gyn a few days later, he felt it and said he thinks it's just a cyst but because I have a family history of breast cancer he wanted me to have a mammogram, ultrasound and an appointment with a surgeon.  I had my mammogram and u/s a few days later.  

Yesterday I had my appointment with the surgeon.  He said that my mammogram and ultrasound both came back negative - which I really don't understand because there is a very obvious lump there.  He felt the lump and  said it is about 1 inch in diameter.  He also said that he doesn't think it is cancerous.

Like my ob-gyn, he said that since I have a family history of breast cancer he isn't comfortable with the "wait and see" method.  My husband and I wouldn't be comfortable with that either.  He scheduled me for surgery next Friday to remove the lump and send it away for a biopsy.

I guess my question is, does this seem like a normal proceedure?  I don't know anyone who has been through this before, so I don't have anyone else to ask.  My husband works with someone though who had breast cancer and she told him that all her surgeon did was drain some fluid with a needle to determine that her lump was cancerous.  

1 Comment
This does seem a normal procedure ... every lump is definitely NOT breast cancer. Removing a lump of the size you describe is the same as an excisional biopsy which is often done. A lumpectomy os a fairly
simple procedure with a quick recovery time. The co-worker of your husband you mention can't used as a comparison to your situation. There are several types of biopsies and each is used for specific circumstances such as the location and size of the questionable lump.