Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Lump

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Lump

I can feel a lump in my breast and still had a negative mammogram with no findings.  How is this possible?  What should my next steps be?  My family physician stated that it was a cyst; shouldn't it show up on a mammogram?

Thank you!
Dear linn664:  A cyst may or may not show up in a mammogram.  Cysts would show up better in an ultrasound.
linn664,

I had a cyst that showed up yearly on my mammograms. The one year it did not show up (but was still there) is the year they found cancer. PS.. the cyst was there on ultrasound and also on MRI. I don't trust mammograms but also realize that for the majority of cancers they are a great tool, just not mine.
I just now am going through this as well. I have found a lump on my left breast and went to my OBGYN and she had a mammogram and ultra sound scheduled as well as she said I had to make an appointment with the surgeon even if the results come back negative or no abnormalaties found. My Dr. said the only way to make sure is that if the lump or cyst is taken out. It shouldn't be there and why would I want it to saty there.

So that is my next step is to see the surgeon this Friday. I would suggest for you to do the same thing.
A related discussion, This section is for medical professionals. was started.
A related discussion, can a mammo be neg with fibrocysts? was started.