Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Lump
About This Forum:

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Breast Lump

I'm 33 years old and found a lump.  The ultrasound results were a small lump that has increased blood supply.  I'm not sure if i should be worried? I was wondering if and what non malignant reasons a breast lump would have increased blood supply to it?
Related Discussions
1760320_tn?1316457433
Dear hhill3,

Thanks for writing in.

Breast lumps can be benign (fibroadenoma, papilloma) or malignant (like breast cancer). In a 33 year old woman like you without any significant family history, it is more likely to be benign, though cancer remains a possibility. The diagnosis of cancer can be verified only after doing a needle aspiration or a biopsy.

A breast ultrasound can show some markers for cancer, like increased vessels, irregular borders, etc, but they are not absolute. Of all the lumps showing increased vessels, around 20% finally turn out to be malignant.

Keeping this in mind, I think you should get a needle aspiration at least to rule out cancer. If it is benign, then you just need follow-up.

A small lump, even if cancerous, is easy to treat with good results.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Indranil Ghosh
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank