Breast Cancer Community
Breast Mass - Enlarged Lymph Nodes

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Mass - Enlarged Lymph Nodes

I am 35 years old, a single mum with a special needs teenager and 3 year old daughter-  I had a small peas sized hard lump in the lower part of my left armpit - it had been there a while but suddenly changed shape and size so my GP sent me to a breast consultant to ahve it checked out. She ordered a mamogram (mammogram) and an Ultrasound but said she didn't think it was anything to worry about.

I have large breasts size 34GG and they are quite dens tissue wise so I often have a little heaviness or tenderness -  especially during ovulation and menstration times. The mamogram (mammogram) was uncomfortable but not painful.

The scan revealed that the lump was nothing to worry abot BUT they found a large mass deep within my armpit/breast and said it looked sinsiter -  they were 90% sure it needed further urgent investigation.

I have been sent an appointment for a XR Mammo guided core biopsey for 13th June (seems a lifetime away). Of course my mind flits between it being okay and it being cancer. I am making plans for my children incase I need surgery and/or treatment. Every day seems to drag.

During all this time my right breast has not even been examined. Well yesterday (29th May) my right breast was swollen, and very tender -  and the lymph nodes in my arm were very swollen and it hurt to lift my arm. I went straight to my GP who was very concerned she called my Breast Consultant's secretary and found out that the consultant is on leave till Tuesday. So she put me on a course of anti biotics just in case it is an infection somewhere and I had a full blood count, bone and liver blood test taken with a 48 hour result put on it -  I go back to my GP on Monday to get the results.

I don't know how I would have an infection as I have not had any invasive procedures, not had an open wound, don't have a temperature and my breasts are not hot to touch or red.

So I am wondering what people think might be going on? Has anyone had similar symptoms?

Thanks :)

Anyone any ideas? I am very alone and very scared and just need some thoughts and support. I know I am brand new hear and a lot of you may already know eachother and have formed friendships but please talk to me.
Helen
Well, I'm sorry I cannot give any insight to your particular situation.  I'm so sorry that you find yourself here.  Having to go for a biopsy is particularly stressful...well in my case, I didn't even want one, searched high and low for a reason not to get one.  But, I can say that to be for certain what you are dealing with is to have the biopsy.  Yes, the 13th is a million years away at this time.  Waiting for the results of the biopsy will also seem a million years away...unless you are me and then put that off too because of family plans.  :)

My advice, when you go for your biopsy, make sure the surgeon checks out the breast that is sore.  Typically, and I say typically because that's usually the case, a sore breast is just hormonal fluctuations and nothing more.  HOWEVER, that doesn't mean that the case involving you isn't part of the typical.  You should indeed get the surgeon to at least review that breast and its issues while you are having the biopsy done.

Also my advice, take someone with you to listen to what is said, and also for the results.  You won't realize how much your brain shuts down during times of stress such as these.

Take care and I do hope that all is well with you!
Thank you for your coments -  I had a sleepless night last night  -  external factors not worry so this morning being sleep deprived I find myself very negative and expecing to have the worst confirmed.

I will make sure someone comes with me I have experienced brain shut down after the first sentance of bad news...so I know how that works.

Thank you for your kindness and support... finally I am not feeling so alone.
Helen
x
A bit of cheerleading from England!  When I was recalled for the 3 step procedure (mammo, ultrasound and biopsy) as a result of a normal 3 yrly mammo with no palpable lump, soreness or tenderness I truly thought they had got a dirty x-ray. The nurse told me on arrival that some 80% of patients referred for breast lumps or pain had benign cysts or fibroadenoma. She said younger women have much denser tissue in their breasts and the mammo can throw up false positives. So hand on to those stats until you get the biopsy.

Lhughes has given you the best advice possible at the moment and there is little I can add except to say that I hope that everything turns out fine for you. In the unlikely event there is a malignancy, do come back for specific advice and emotional support. Best you can do at present is to keep busy and not jump too far ahead, although those of us with bc know how terrifying this waiting period is.  Somehow, the brain just kicks into survival mode, and you do find some inner strength to deal with an unacceptable situation.

Take care....come back whenever you want, even if it is only get things off your chest.
Cyber hugs,
Liz.
Thanks Liz-  I think my biggest problem is this has already been the year fro hell with nothing going right.

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and reliving some awful things through my psychiatrist and counsellor (at lest I have those neworks in place should the worst be confirmed)

I have had a lot of dental work done and I am dental phobic.

My son has Downs Syndrome and Autism and lives ina  residential school -  he comes home once a month and April I couldn't have him home because the PTSD trauma was at it's hight and I couldn't have coped with him (I also have a very inteligent and active 3 year old and am a single parent). The result of him not coming home anda  change to his routine was pretty drastic behaviours which sent meon an emotional guilt trip which delayed some of my progress.

So I was not in the best place emotionally or mentally when this happened -  so trying to stay positive  has been a real battle within me.

Already I am very grateful for the suport here and the information available.

Thank you for your input and support Liz,
Helen
x
HI HELEN SORRY TO HERE THAT U ARE GOING THROUGH ALL THIS I AM ALSO NEW AT THIS SITE. I TO HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY LEFT BREAST I HAVE HAD ALL THE TEST LIKE MAMMO, ULTRASOUND, MRI NOW I HAVE TO GO SEE A SURGEN, THEY WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT IT IS NOTHING WELL I HAD A MAMMO DONE IN AUG OF LAST YEAR AND THEY TOLD ME THEY HAD SEE TWO MASS ANDI WAS SO AFFRAID OF GETING A BIOPSEY DONE I DID NOT DO IT NOW IT WAS MARCH WHEN I WENT BACK TO THE GP THAT I HAD TO HAVE ALL THE TEST DONE AGAIN AND THEY FOUND THREE MASS. NOW I WILL BE GOING TO SEE THE SURGEN ON MONDAY THE 2ND TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO I AM ASLO SCARED TO HAVE IT DONE SO I DO KNOW HOW U FEEL. SO I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE DR SAYS AND AND HOW U ARE DOING OK TAKE CARE AND I WILL LET U KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT ME.
Im sorry to hear that you are in a similar boat -  but please take any test they offer -  don't ignore it again.... Early diagnosis is so vital.

I will update you after my GP apt tomorrow
Helen
xx