Breast Cancer Community
Breast Mass and microcalcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Breast Mass and microcalcifications

I just went for my every 6 month visit to my breast surgeon who has been following me for 10 years after discovery of microcalcifications in my left breast.  He noted slight changes in my mammo of two years ago and did a stereotactic needle biopsy but was unable to remove the microcalcification.  He placed a mammotone clip at the site for future reference at that time.   This visit was just an exam without a mammo.  When he examined me he felt a mass very close to the calcification site and I am now scheduled for an ultrasound and diagnostic digital mammogram.  

I am very worried that the microcalcifications have now become cancer.  Does this happen?  I know that microcalcifications can be precursors of cancer and I am afraid that that is what happened.
I'm so sorry for the pain that you must be going through.  Microcalcifications are usually
seen only on a mammogram.  It could be a sign of DCIS; ductual carcinoma in-situ, which in
itself is pre-cancerous but not invasive.  It needs to come out.  If left alone, it will develop into
invasive ductual carcinoma in some women.  According to Dr. Susan Love;s Breast Book, 80%of
microcalcifications have nothing to do with cancer and are probably just the result of normal wear and tear on your breast.  I hope for the best for you and pray that the doctors will have a conslusive
answer.

Microcalcifications are tiny specks of calcium in the breast tissue that need to be investigated further to rule out cancer.

The microcalcifications if large or clustered are usually biopsied for a confirmed diagnosis. Most calcifications are usually benign.

The usual plan of follow up is a regular breast self exam, a clinical evaluation in 6 months and a mammogram every 6 months or annually or as your doctor advises.

Carry on regular breast self examinations and report any abnormal features to your doctor.

Let us know about how you are doing and do post us the reports when they come in.

Dont worry about the calcifications growing or they being cancerous, relax and just keep your appointment with your doctor regularly. It would only help to remain calm and reach a confirmed diagnosis.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and post us about how you are doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.