Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Nodules found. Need for concern?

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Nodules found. Need for concern?

I am 28 years old and I found a lump, and an ultra sound showed a nodule, most likely benign, needed another ultra sound in 6  onths to check.  I then found another lump in the same breast.  I asked my OBGYN for another ultra sound, as my husband and I want to try to start a family.  They recommeneded I go to a surgean now, instead of waiting 6 months just to be sure.  This way I do not have to worry about getting pregnant and then the nodule turning out to be something to worry about.  However, they did not order another ultrasound for the other lump I found.  I am going to the surgean next week.  Will he be able to tell if the new lump I found is something to worry about, or will he have to send me for another ultrasound?  Am I doing this the right way?   I know I probably have nothing to worry about, but I feel it is better to find out for sure before I start to try and get pregnant.  Thing is, I am scared and would like both breasts looked at in full.  Is there anything you could maybe recommend that I talk to my surgean about when I go next week?  I thought the more information I could get before I go to him would be the best thing for me. I was on the pill for 10 years and then went off, and my body seems to be reacting to this.  I never had lumps before, and now am noticing that they are there.  I do not expect you to have a full answer for me, I am only looking for opinions if I am doing this the right way, and if there is anything I should need to know to ask for when i go next week.  Thank you for all yor help.

Sara
Dear rns91294:  It sounds as though you are, indeed, doing the right thing by getting a surgical evaluation for your new lumps.  The surgeon should examine both breasts, review the imaging studies and make recommendation as to what additional testing, if any should be done.
I've said it many times here (but I'm not an "official" answerer, so wait for that): ultrasound for a feelable lump is a waste of time and money. What you learned from it is that the lump is solid, not a cyst. That's all. But if you'd had a fine-needle aspiration (FNA) (inserting a thin needle -- usually nearly painless) you'd have learned that without the ultrasound, and it would have in addition taken a small sample which could have been looked at under a microscope. Getting another ultrasound will not give you new or useful information: you already know it's not a cyst, and that's the only accurate info you get from one. Seeing the surgeon is a good idea; maybe he'll suggest FNA.
Unfortuantely, the first ultra sound I did have was only for the one location where I felt something.  They did not examine the entire breast, which I wish they had.  I am hoping the surgeon will be able to examine both breasts, even without the ultrasound of the entire breast.  Thank you for all your help, as I thought an ultrasound would have been needed for my new finding, but it seems that the surgeon would be able to evaluate it without one.  However, since I do not have a full image of both breasts, nor do I have a mammography, I feel he may send me for further testing, which is okay, as long as it is necassary.  Again, thank you for all your help.  I was concerned that going to the surgeon may have been a waste of money without the full ultrasound, but it seems as if I am indeed doing the right thing.  Thank you.
A related discussion, breast nodule was started.
A related discussion, breast noduel but have implants was started.
A related discussion, Nodule on left breast was started.