Breast Cancer Expert Forum
Breast Pain (with NO lumps/no injury)

Questions posted in the Breast Cancer Forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics include Breast Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Lumps, Lumpectomy, Lymph node dissection, Lymphedema, Mammograms, Mastectomy, Radiation Therapy, Reconstruction, Self Breast Exam, and Surgery.

Breast Pain (with NO lumps/no injury)

I have suddenly developed intense pain in my right breast/rib cage area (moves around so is hard to give exact location).  No injury to this area & no lumps or changes seen. Pain began as a dull throb (week ago), increased to an almost unbearable intensity & now back to a dull throb, bruised feeling.  The pain started on the bone area just at the right bottom of the breast & over under my arm.  Then a couple of days later it was directly in the middle of my right breast, w/even the nipple felt odd (& feeling of something "extra" inside).  I tried ice packs, which helped some.  After exactly one week, today it's back to a dull throb & almost gone but it did this the 3rd day  & came back.  I have just recovered from a mild cold (week before this began) but this doesn't feel like Pleurisy I have experienced in the past, not in same area I ever hurt with Pleurisy.  My lungs appear clear & I have no trouble breathing deeply.  Didn't cough hard enough to crack a rib.  Not like Mastitus. I suffer from Chronic Pain, DDD, Lumbar Spondy, Radiculitis, Arthritis that runs rampid through my entire body, Chronic Depression & PTSD.  I take 120 mg of OxyContin daily & Motrin every 8 hours for pain. I am 45 years of age.  My Mom had a radical mastectomy due to pre-malignant cancer cells when she was 45 years of age.  I have NO insurance (Medicare kicks in Oct 06') & no money to go to the dr for exploring what might be wrong.  Mammo's always been clear (last one March 03'). I am just at a loss as to what is going on here.  Any help at what might be going on is much appreciated. SCARY! KimmiH
Dear KimmiH:  Without evaluation it is impossible for us to speculate on the cause of your breast pain.  Breast pain is not uncommon, especially during certain parts of the menstrual cycle.  Most breast cancer is not painful.  If your pain persists or if you are concerned, our recommendation is to see a doctor and have it checked out.
Only problem with that is I had a hysterectomy in 1986.  So it is not "cyclic" in that regard.  With no insurance and no money, guess there will be no answers.  Kimmi
KimmiH have you back checked back pain can couse brest pain stress can couse pains to.
A related discussion, pain in the left breast was started.
A related discussion, Pain in my entire left breast was started.